19920Re: [orthodox-synod] Re: Red Candles???

  • proto@net2000.com.au
    May 3, 2007
      Dear Stephanos,
      When the late Archbishop Anthony of San Francisco was bishop of Melbourne,
      i.e. 1956-1967, he always used red candles in the bishop's blessing
      candlesticks. Red candles were made for the parishioners on Easter Eve and the
      subdeacons and deacons wore red orarions on their white vestments. I doubt
      that this is an innovation, but something that Vladyka Anthony was particular
      about at the time. If anything, this is a Russian tradition and has nothing
      to do canonicity.
      In Christ
      Fr Michael Protopopov.

      Quoting Stephen/Στέφανος <sbuatl@...>:

      > Yes, father, but making "red" candles has to be a new tradition, an
      > innovation; and is probably against the church canons because they
      > most likely use an "artificial dye" to make that color, whereas
      > Orthodox candles are supposed to be made of "pure beeswax" with no
      > artificial ingredients. Red paschal eggs and red (crimson)
      > vestments *are* traditional.
      >
      > (I do lament that so many Greek churches in the diaspora use
      > petroleum/paraffin candles, they're uncanonical, smell horrible when
      > extinguished and are simply tacky!)
      >
      > Stephanos
      >

      > Archpriest Stefan Pavlenko wrote:
      > >
      > > The color "red", crimson/ very bright red, for emigre Russians became
      > > much like the word "gay" in the English Language. A wonderful word a
      > > beautiful color ruined by evil ideologies that make the very sound
      > > and sight distasteful and symbolizing an abomination. But in Russia
      > > the color Red was always intertwined with stronger meanings, beauty
      > > and joy, so they stayed more firmly in the body of the faithful...
      > > maybe there is still hope for the word GAY!
      > >
      > > Archpriest Stefan Pavlenko
      > >
      > > --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com
      > > <mailto:orthodox-synod%40yahoogroups.com>, DDD <dimitradd@...> wrote:

      > > > Truly, He is Risen!

      > > candles at
      > > >
      > > > ???? I didn't get to see the video, but I have seen red candles at
      > > > ROCOR cathedral in Munich. I thought it was because it was
      > > Pentecost.
      > > > It's an interesting question.
      > > >
      > > > Anna V.
      > > >
      > > > I don't know about them, either, but I recently was doing an image
      > > search for photos of Russian wedding crowns, and one of the photos
      > > the search engine came up with showed the small table with the two
      > > crowns on it and two RED candles! ??
      > > >
      > > > --Dimitra Dwelley

    • Show all 13 messages in this topic