19918Re: [orthodox-synod] Re: Red Candles???

  • Stephen/Στέφανος
    May 3 1:38 PM
      Yes, father, but making "red" candles has to be a new tradition, an
      innovation; and is probably against the church canons because they
      most likely use an "artificial dye" to make that color, whereas
      Orthodox candles are supposed to be made of "pure beeswax" with no
      artificial ingredients. Red paschal eggs and red (crimson)
      vestments *are* traditional.

      (I do lament that so many Greek churches in the diaspora use
      petroleum/paraffin candles, they're uncanonical, smell horrible when
      extinguished and are simply tacky!)

      Stephanos

      Archpriest Stefan Pavlenko wrote:

      > The color "red", crimson/ very bright red, for emigre Russians became
      > much like the word "gay" in the English Language. A wonderful word a
      > beautiful color ruined by evil ideologies that make the very sound
      > and sight distasteful and symbolizing an abomination. But in Russia
      > the color Red was always intertwined with stronger meanings, beauty
      > and joy, so they stayed more firmly in the body of the faithful...
      > maybe there is still hope for the word GAY!
      >
      > Archpriest Stefan Pavlenko
      >
      > --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com
      > <mailto:orthodox-synod%40yahoogroups.com>, DDD <dimitradd@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > On Wed, 02 May 2007 17:46:20 -0500, Anna Voellmecke wrote:
      > > At 01:14 AM 5/2/2007, you wrote:
      > > >Christ is Risen!
      > >
      > > Truly, He is Risen!
      > >
      > > >Can someone tell me what is with those horrible "blood-red"
      > candles at
      > > >Boris Yeltsin's funeral??
      > >
      > > ???? I didn't get to see the video, but I have seen red candles at
      > > ROCOR cathedral in Munich. I thought it was because it was
      > Pentecost.
      > > It's an interesting question.
      > >
      > > Anna V.
      > >
      > > I don't know about them, either, but I recently was doing an image
      > search for photos of Russian wedding crowns, and one of the photos
      > the search engine came up with showed the small table with the two
      > crowns on it and two RED candles! ??
      > >
      > > --Dimitra Dwelley

    • Show all 13 messages in this topic