19119RE: [orthodox-synod] waiting?

  • Elias G Gorsky
    Feb 4, 2007
      The Council of Bishops and the Synod Of Bishops followed the letter and
      spirit of the resolution of the 4th All-Diaspora Sobor - the union was to
      occur "at the appropriate time" and all vowed to " follow the Bishops". The
      Council of Bishops deemed the current time to be appropriate. It is
      certainly their prerogative to do so, being mandated by the Holy Spirit to
      lead the Church. If some disagree as to the "appropriateness of the time",
      it may be their "right" to disagree, but it does not nullify the bishops'
      decision. Even if the bishops are wrong in deeming the time to be
      appropriate, it is not sufficient reason to disobey and leave the bishops.
      Anyone doing so is going into schism. The only reason for leaving one's
      bishop is the bishop's preaching heresy bare-headed in Church. Being wrong
      as to the appropriateness of time does not even come close.

      The part in the resolution regarding the pending Local Council of the _One_
      Russian Church to settle any remaining differences, it is obvious from the
      wording that it is a Council of the ONE Russian Church, thus requiring the
      Union of the two parts of the Russian Church to have already occurred. In
      any case, it is impossible to have a SOBOR, in other words SOBORNOST, of
      parts of the Russian Church which are not in communion with each other.

      People accusing our bishops of acting uncanonically do not have leg to stand
      on - it is all based on adulteration of the facts. It is rather very sinful
      and uncanonical to hurl such baseless accusations onto one's lawful
      hierarchs and spiritual fathers.

      Archpriest Ilya Gorsky