18325Re: [orthodox-synod] The Vanishing Russians Parts I-III: What Responsibility Has the MP Taken?

  • Melissa Bushunow
    Nov 2, 2006
      Reporters Without Borders puts Russia as 140th out of 168 countries in
      rankings of journalistic freedom and safety. This latest ranking is
      based on events from September 2003 to September 2004. September
      2006's murders of ITAR-TASS Journalist Anatoly Voronin and Novaya
      Gazeta's reporter Anna Politkovskaya and all the other cases of
      journalist murder and intimidation for the past two years aren't
      figured in. http://www.rsf.org/article.php3?id_article=11716

      If those -- whose profession is to make their voice heard -- are not
      safe in the Russian Federation then a) it is not surprising that those
      without a voice are abused; b) the the scale of immorality and
      lawlessness of Putin's Russia is underreported. Below are a few
      incidents which did come to light.

      "Yekaterinburg, Russia � A massive child sex ring was exposed in
      downtown Yekaterinburg... The accused were caught selling young boys,
      renting them for sexual services and routinely raping them. Their
      victims were over 1,000 boys, ages 12 through 17. This �business� has
      been operating for five years..."
      http://www.russiablog.org/2006/08/boys_for_sale_and_sexual_servi.html

      In Putin's army young men and boys are being raped and beaten to death
      in the armed services, and no one in the upper ranks of officers has
      had to take any responsibility for the senseless brutality. One of the
      "victims is 19-year old Radik Habirov from Kazan, who was brought in
      to a local hospital weighing only 65 pounds and is now in a coma. This
      is the worst case of documented abuse in the Russian Army since the
      widely reported case of Pvt. Sychev six months ago. Last week in Moscow
      more details emerged from closed hearings about the extent of Pvt.
      Sychev�s mutilation. Even Army doctors accustomed to seeing scars and
      broken bones from abuse have been shocked at how severely Pvt. Sychev
      was tortured by his comrades. Army doctors had tried to cover up the
      crime, blaming the loss of Sychev�s legs on a pre-existing medical
      condition, but a civilian panel of medical examiners concluded that
      Sychev was gang raped in the barracks while taped to his bunk. After
      being sodomized repeatedly, he was forced to do squats, then made to
      hold in the squatting position for hours, until he lost circulation in
      his legs. By the time he was brought to a hospital, doctors could only
      save Sychev�s life by amputating his legs and genitals.
      http://www.russiablog.org/2006/07/russian_army_needs_a_reform.html

      The Soviets made it illegal for the Orthodox Church and Orthodox
      institutions to take care of the the ill, the orphans, the poor. The
      heirs of the Soviet system -- Putin and his soviet oligarchs (the
      soviets who were in power when the system "fell" maintained their grasp
      on power) -- have ignored the societal obligations that the soviet
      system seized and at least gave lip service to. And the MP since
      regaining its "freedom" has not taken up the slack.

      Yes, rebuilding churches is God-pleasing, printing literature is
      God-pleasing, but Christ said to the pharisees (St. Matthew 23:23) that
      they should have done the one and not ignored the other. Woe unto
      you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and
      anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law,
      judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to
      leave the other undone.

      Christ addresses the excuse of withholding care of the poor (in this
      case elderly parents) in order to donate to the temple: 3Jesus
      replied, "And why do you break the command of God for the sake of your
      tradition? 4For God said, 'Honor your father and mother'[a] and 'Anyone
      who curses his father or mother must be put to death.'[b] 5But you say
      that if a man says to his father or mother, 'Whatever help you might
      otherwise have received from me is a gift devoted to God,' [meaning
      that it is a gift to the temple] 6he is not to 'honor his father[c]'
      with it. Thus you nullify the word of God for the sake of your
      tradition. 7You hypocrites! Isaiah was right when he prophesied about
      you:
      �8" 'These people honor me with their lips,
      ������but their hearts are far from me.
      �9They worship me in vain;
      ������their teachings are but rules taught by men.'[d]"

      The church is to be both Martha and Mary. We are reminded on the
      Sunday of the last Judgment that we will be judged for our care of the
      poor and ill.

      Why has the Orthodox Church MP not taken this subject up? Because it
      involves criticizing their past soviet masters, who are still their
      present day masters. If the MP would truly throw off the soviet yoke
      by complete confession of its past and continuing complicity, then its
      penance could include fulfilling its scriptural obligations. It would
      have the spiritual strength and legitimacy to criticize and help remedy
      the horrors and lawlessness occurring under Putin.