18309Re: The Vanishing Russians Parts I-III: What Responsibility Has the MP Taken?

    Nov 1, 2006
      --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Woodson" <singingmountains@...>
      wrote:

      > Fr. John Shaw suggested that because the woman reporter who wrote the
      > LA Times series was named "Kim Murphy" that was somehow suspicious. He
      > also assumed that because she was not Orthodox, she might not know
      > anything about the Church. Well, you don't have to know much about the
      > Church to report on the realities in Russia.

      JRS: You don't have to know anything about the Orthodox faith, or about the history of the
      Balkans, or even the details of current events there, to "report on the realities of Serbia":
      for years, Western journalists demonized the Serbs.

      They produced a huge body of "information" about "Serbian aggression", enough to fill a
      library.

      It has even generated propaganda movies disguised as "action films", and a Saturday
      morning children's show called "Bosnia 101", aimed at teaching children to hate the Serbs.

      But it was all false. And it cost thousands of innocent people their lives.

      There is also a huge realm of misleading writings about the Orthodox Church, claiming
      that Orthodoxy "broke away from Rome", and once again one could fill a library with such
      "learned information".

      But it isn't the truth.

      In the case of all this "informative writing" about Russia and the Russian Orthodox Church,
      Mr. Woodson has collected material that supports a negative attitude.

      Instead of looking up disinformation in the research library, I would recommend getting to
      know Patriarchal clergy, seminarians, and monastics, personally.