18305Re: The Vanishing Russians Parts I-III: What Responsibility Has the MP Taken?

    Oct 31, 2006
      --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, "michael nikitin" <"Peter Andreev"> wrote:

      > Fr. John explains to us there were very few Churches open in the
      > Soviet Union. He is correct. After the MP was created by Stalin,
      > Stalin picked HIS patriarch, HIS bishops, HIS clergy and created
      > HIS "Church" the MP.
      > And it has been functioning to this day with these clergy who are
      > picked by the regime for their bidding.

      JRS: Of course, Stalin did not "create" the MP: he simply lessened the persecution, when he
      needed all the popular support he could get during World War II.

      The current Patriarch was elected, if anything, democratically, after the repose of Patriarch
      Pimen in 1990.