17698Re: The MP, the ROCOR and ecumenism

  • Mike Woodson
    Aug 18, 2006
      Dear Bratislav,

      Thank you for your kind words, and especially for those good words
      about holy Saint John the Wonderworker. During his writing of the
      Short History of the ROCOR, St. John's thinking was steeped in prayer,
      labor and peace, without a semblance of passionate lecturing.

      Such are reasons that I trust his substantive observations, and not
      only that, there are very significant distinctions between the MP on
      one hand and the people of the Church in Russia on the other. To my
      mind, putting off the MP is not equal to harming, hurting or
      condemning the Russian faithful. On the contrary, for Russians
      rediscovering their faith, it would be spiritually and perhaps
      physically protective to wait out the resignation or passing of the MP
      hierarchs as God permits their era to pass.

      Too many words (as usual).

      Michael

      --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, Bratislav Peplinski
      <bratislavbrad@...> wrote:

      > Dear in Christ Michael,
      >
      > You make a good point and it is indeed a point that should not go
      unconsidered. To be honest, I agree with the sentiment that St John
      (and yourself) express. But that does not mean that without the
      penitential act of resignation I will oppose the MP and refuse to call
      them brothers and share with them the One Cup and One Loaf. It is not
      for me and even, unfortunately perhaps, not for St John to mete out
      penances. Such things will be decided by the All Russian Synod when
      that is possible.

      > Lastly, I do not believe that our hierarchs are so evil or blind
      as to merely pay lip service to St John while they knowingly or
      unknowingly act contrary to his written opinions. It pains me to say
      it, because St John holds a dear place in my heart, but even the
      opinions of saints can be wrong or to some degree unfitting for the
      circumstances. Our current leaders might see there to be a big enough
      difference between the MP St John wrote of and the MP we are seeking
      to reconcile with as to warrant action other than recommended by our
      saintly Vladyka.

      > Be well and God keep you,
      > Bratislav

    • Show all 26 messages in this topic