17107Re: "Enemies of the Church" lists

  • myhrr101
    Jul 6, 2006
      Hello again Malcolm, my first reply to you has got lost somewhere in
      the system, but you didn't miss anything, just a bit rambling on
      your theme.

      Myrrh

      --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, malcolm robertson
      <mjriii2003@...> wrote:

      > ALHQWS ANESTH (XPICTOC BOCKRECE)
      >
      > Warm greetings to all in Christ.
      >
      > I have been a lurker on this site for sometime now and do feel
      the urge to chime in on a few points. Your patient indulgence is
      much appreciated.

      > 1. While the clergy are suppose to hold the truth of the faith
      in themselves (Mal. 2:6-8), to be deemed worthy of double honor (1
      Tim 5:16-18; 1 Tim 5:1f) and are to instruct the lost in the way (2
      Tim 4:1-3; Tit 1:8-10; 1 Tim 4:5-7), no one should view them as
      infallible (1 Tim 4:11-13) - at least not as we do the Apostles (2
      Thess. 3:13-15; 2 Tim 3:15-17; Acts 20:27 etc.). They are men too
      and accountable to God (James 3:1).

      > 2. The face of Russia is changing. She is no longer a closed
      or isolated society repressed by a godless communist regime.
      Nevertheless, although Orthodoxy may be the recognized state
      religion MOST Russians still consult their horoscopes for daily
      guidance instead of the living God who can act (Matt 7:6-12; John
      14:13-15). Russia is becoming in this regard much like America -
      with it's attendent problems and circumstances. The publishing
      houses and individual parishes will be forced to address new,
      unheard of, and challeging issues that the world will present in
      various forms (1 John 2:18; 1 Tim 4:1-6; 2 Tim 3:1-9 etc.). But the
      Word of God abides forever.

      > 3. A benighted laity in Orthodoxy should not be the norm. It
      ofttimes is not so. The right of the laity (Christ's sheep) to
      question and form opinions is not simply a civil right afforded by
      the constituion of the United States for it's citizens but is the
      inherant right of any human being - not the least of which and
      particularly Christians (Mat 7:15-23; 1 Cor.14:20, 29; Acts 20:27-
      38; 2 Tim 2; 1 John 2 :20, 27; also cf Matthew 23). Matthew 7:1-5
      does not forbid the formation of an opinion but the self-righteous,
      hypocritical condemnation of others.

      > 4. I am sure that the phrase "Enemies of the Church list"
      conjures up recollections of godless Soviet regime propaganda lists
      and tactics that are still quite pychologically disconcerting to
      many of us. However, the Church has always notified it's flock of
      the reality and real presence of such individuals. Even so
      Patriarch Tikhon did thus. The warnings issued to Israel about the
      surrounding godless nations and their abominable practices. The
      warnings of Jesus (Matt. 7:15ff; Matt 23: John 14:6; John 10 & 15);
      Paul (Philippians 3:17-21 & 3:1-3 et al); Peter (2 Peter 2); Jude;
      and John (1 John 2:22f; 4:1-3; 2 John 1:7-10; 3 John 9f). In
      addition the early Apostolic Fathers (Papias, Polycarp, Ignatius,
      Clement) and Apologists (Justin Martyr and Irenaeus) all spoke
      aginst identified "enemies" of the Gospel. Anathemas (the first
      issued by Paul (1 Cor. 16:32) have been issued by early Church
      councils (Nicea A.D. 325) and since. The infamous heretics Simon
      Magus (Acts
      > 8), Nicolaitanes et al (Rev 2 & 3), Cerinthus (Irenaeus 3.3;
      Eusebius Hist. Eccl, 3.28; 4:14), Marcion (Tertullian, Adv. Marc).,
      the Gnostic Basilides (Eusebius, Hist Eccl, 4.7.6-8), and the
      Gnostic Valentinus (Irenaeus, Adv Haer. 1.21.4-5; Epiphanius
      Haer.31).

      > But caution and circumspection must be exercised. A wholesale
      lump summing of individuals and organizations under the
      word "Enemies" can be quite problematic if not attended with sound
      theological reasons. It is one thing to defend the faith (cf Jude
      3). It is an entire other thing to adopt and execute with the none
      spiritual weapons of the world (cf Eph. 6:10-24).

      > At any rate I just wanted to chime in. I am of Russian descent
      and Russian is my mother tongue (although because of necessity
      English has the ascendancy). The closest Russian Orthodox
      congregation is too far away to be actively involved. Consequently
      I attend Church elsewhere.