16899Re: [orthodox-synod] Re: Saint Florian

  • antiquariu@aol.com
    Jun 1, 2006
      In a message dated 6/1/2006 9:49:35 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
      sbuatl@... writes:

      What a very ethnocentric, bigoted and "westo-centric" (occidocentirc?)
      comment: «the Greeks aren't even remotely aware of the western
      saints. The Russians usually are».

      You got it, Stephanos, a Greek, but I stand by what I said, which in
      removing the qualifier that preceded, you managed to misquote. Every time I have
      asked my Sergiev Posad iconographers to come up with a special icon, they have.
      There is no doubt that there are, as you said, pious Greeks who are aware
      of St Seraphim -- hey, there are even pious Greeks who are aware of St Francis
      of Assisi, as evinced by the icon of St Francis I saw at several places in
      Greece, and I hear is even at Athos. But in truth, I've seen Saxon saints in
      Moscow; I've never seen the likes of Alcuin and Notker anywhere in Greece,
      nor even head of them, nor seen them in any calendar. Please, please, please
      make me eat my words. Hellenes may have done lots of cool stuff in there
      time, but the pre-Schism Orthodoxy that marked Western Europe is the same thing
      that is now being criticized as Western innovation. Don't forget that the
      Filio Que was added long, long, before the schism. I have seen an icon of
      Alcuin, but it dates back to Crusader times, and Alcuin was a peripheral figure.

      This may only be my warped way of looking at it, but I personally get the
      impression that the Greeks portray a smaller standard set of saints on their
      icons, whereas the Russians run the entire gamut. I am not a Russian. I
      strongly suspect that if I call Danilevsky Val and the workshops and ask for an
      icon of Wunibald, that I will get it. I doubt that will happen in Athens.

      No xenophobe, just a realist,

      Vova H.

      Incidentally, that miracle with the oil-exuding relics of St Walburga, one
      of the few which was approved in writing by the Holy Catholic and Apostolic
      Church, started after the translation of her relics to her reburial in Eich
      staett in 1042 from the sarcophagous she had been interred in in 875. Note the