16514Re: [orthodox-synod] Question about interview with Patriarch Alexy

  • Fr. Alexander Lebedeff
    May 3, 2006
      Peter Bushunow wrote:
      >Father John has said (several times on this list and in private emails)
      >that Patriarch Alexy has publicly repented of Sergianism and has taken
      >personal responsibility for the lies and deceptions regarding the state
      >Russian Church while it was enslaved (with Metropolitan Sergius'
      >approval) under the communist yoke
      >
      >However, neither Father John nor Patriarch Alexy cite any church
      >services or rite, document, ukaz, formal declaration, report of minutes
      >of a meeting or give us any clues as to when, where, and how this
      >repentance was performed or witnessed.

      See the Interview given by Patriarch Alexei II to Izvestia (the
      largest circulation newspaper in Russia), in July, 1991, which was
      subsequently reprinted in the "Journal of the Moscow Patriarchate"
      (no. 10, 1991) which includes his words:

      "As a man of the Church, I take upon myself responsibility for all
      that occurred in the life of my Church, not only for the good, but
      also for the onerous, the regretful, and the erroneous."

      Regarding compromises that he and others made during the time of the
      Communist persecution, in the same interview, he said:

      "From those people for whom these compromises. silence, forced
      passivity, or expressions of loyalty which were permitted by the
      Church leadership during those years, caused pain, not only before
      God, but also before them, I ask forgiveness, understanding, and prayers."

      Perhaps even more significant was the official Epistle of Patriarch
      Alexei II and the entire Holy Synod of the Russian Orthodox Church on
      the 75th Anniversary of the Murder of the Tsar-Martyr Nicholas II and
      his family (issued in July 1993), which includes the following words:

      "The sin of the murder of the Tsar, which took place in the face of
      the indifference of the citizens of Russia, has not been repented of
      by our people. Being a crime against both the law of God and man,
      this sin lies as a most heavy burden on the soul of the people, on
      its moral self-understanding."

      "And so today, we, on behalf of the whole Church, on behalf of all of
      its children--both those who have reposed and those who are now
      living-- we offer before God and the people repentance for this sin.
      Forgive us, O Lord!"

      No Christian would demand a more clear repentance, than this (if
      Christians even have the right to demand repentance from someone
      other than themsleves!).

      With love in Christ,

      Prot. Alexander Lebedeff
    • Show all 8 messages in this topic