16316Re: [orthodox-synod] Re: Struggling with the issue of the MP in the WCC

    Apr 1, 2006
      Fr. Raphael wrote:

      > This brings up another question about ecumenism which is how does
      > Christ and His Church really ask us to deal with this serious problem
      > right now. Seperating ourselves is not the only solution or the only
      > witness.

      JRS: The irony of that, is that it is easy enough to "separate oneself from the other Orthodox",
      but not from the non-Orthodox we are surrounded by.

      There are not too many Russian ecumenists; but sad to say, there are many people in our
      parishes who say, "Bog -- odin dlja vsekh", by which they mean that they are tolerant of their
      children or grandchildren drifting away from Orthodoxy.

      Just this past Sunday, at our annual parish meeting, a woman asked what ecumenism was.

      To her it had been just a word, but it meant that we "did not get along" with the other
      Orthodox. When I explained about the inerfaith services of 30 years ago, about the scandal
      they had been to the devout, and about the unique truth of the Orthodox faith, she seemed
      surprised.

      It was easy for ROCOR to distance itself from the other Orthodox, especially from the Greeks,
      because our parishes lived in our own "Russian exile" world. But over the years, most of the
      younger generation embarked on mixed marriages, moved to other parts of the country
      where they did not make contact with Orthodox churches, and for their children, in many
      cases Orthodoxy was only "grandmother's church": if that.

      That "falling away" represents the real ecumenism that threatens us.

      Unfortunately, it is a grass roots kind of ecumenism, not helped at all by "separation" or
      "walling off" from the other Orthodox.