16312Who are the Pharisees???

  • vlutchenkov
    Apr 1, 2006
      Good morning list members,
      I was saddened to see only two responses/reactions to my question
      (post #16284) regarding "private." In addition, no one asked what
      was it that I discovered posted on a blog that came directly from
      this list and I viewed as a disservice to our church and the United
      States. Some may have thought the question naïve, but this is
      supposed to be private list for members of ROCOR and I would think
      courtesy and etiquette would mean something at least to members of
      this list. I am a simple layperson and the two answers posted left
      me with even more questions now then before. While my questions
      were about etiquette, courtesy, and respect for privacy I had hoped
      that someone would support my concern that there appears to be a
      lack of that on this list. I would have also thought that someone
      would give "strong" guidance, advise, and at least remind list
      members of what privacy means and what etiquette and courtesy rules
      should be respected. However, the posted responses either did not
      answer the question at all or warned me (I think) not to trust folks
      on this list.

      One response ended with the following;
      "Good rule of thumb. If you really don't want something revealed,
      don't communicate it. And also remember the Gospel lesson: Beware ye
      of the leaven of the Pharisees, which is hypocrisy. For there is
      nothing covered, that shall not be revealed; neither hid, that shall
      not be known. Luke 12"

      Hmmmm…. What does all that mean? – If you wish to discuss sensitive
      matters of the church or share with church members what maybe
      sensitive information that has come to you - you should not do so
      here because list members can not be trusted? As I said I am
      simple layperson so I had to look up the referenced bible quote to
      better understand it in today's world. Interesting research! I
      found the following:

      ""The scribes and the Pharisees sit on Moses' seat; so practice and
      observe whatever they tell you, but not what they do; for they
      preach, but do not practice. They bind heavy burdens, hard to bear,
      and lay them on men's shoulders; but they themselves will not move
      them with their finger. They do all their deeds to be seen by men;
      for they make their phylacteries broad and their fringes long, and
      they love the place of honor at feasts and the best seats in the
      synagogues, and salutations in the market places, and being called
      rabbi by men. But you are not to be called rabbi, for you have one
      teacher, and you are all brethren. And call no man your father on
      earth, for you have one Father, who is in heaven." (Matthew 23:2-9
      RSV)
      (Note: A perhaps somewhat surprising statement - the Pharisees were
      correct according to their limited perspective, and were to be
      obeyed by the Jews under their authority. But, they were not to be
      emulated in their way of life - they were Hypocrites.)"

      The other response was even more interesting.
      ""Unfortunately, experience has shown that there are liable to be
      some people who do not respect "privacy" of lists, even on lists
      that are only for ROCOR clergy, where the discussions are supposed
      to be strictly confidential.""

      Okay, "privacy" is mentioned, but then we (since this was posted for
      all of us to see) are informed that some of our clergy do not
      respect "privacy." This begs the question, "Does some of our clergy
      carry over this lack of respect for "confidentiality" or "privacy"
      into other aspects of their daily and spiritual life. Actually, how
      does this answer my original question? I recognize that clergy are
      also human (and sinners) so why was this needed? Or was this an
      example that proves the saying, "Do as I say not as I do."

      Oh and as far as the graphic is concerned it seems that I am not
      able to post it or embed it as part of this e-mail. It was posted
      along with two postings from this "private" list on an open Orthodox
      blog. I found it offensive. If anyone is interested I will send it
      to you directly if you e-mail me with a request

      Please note that just as I anticipated no one from this list fessed
      up to this wonderful bit of slander (on the blog). Finally has
      anyone figured out who the Pharisees are on this list? I could use
      some advice, guidance and counsel in recognizing them and not being
      led into further sin (I do well on my own).

      In Christ
      Vova
    • Show all 8 messages in this topic