16188Re: new to canada in need of Rocor church

  • cantor71
    Mar 9, 2006
      I am here in Canada - Toronto - but there is no ROCOR church close
      to Thundetr Bay, unfortunately. It is a beautiful location but not
      close to anything!

      I just looked it up in mapquest and the distance to Winnipeg, MB is
      440 mi., and to Minneapolis, MN is about 350. I am in Toronto, about
      975 mi away!

      But wherever they wish to go to a ROCOR parish in Canada, let me
      know, and I can help arrange a place to stay - and, I hope, a warm
      welcome.

      George Skok
      Toronto

      --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, Gilbert Gamboa <text164@...>
      wrote:

      > I have a friend couple who just moved to Thunder Bay Canada-
      northwest coast of lake superior and are in need of the closest
      Rocor church, does anyone know canada that can direct us to the
      closest Rocor Church

      > Protopriest David Moser <moserd@...> wrote:
      > --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, morechoff@ wrote:
      > >
      > > A couple of question on the All-Diaspora Council to be held in
      May 6 -14.

      > I can't answer all the questions - but I will share what I know:
      > First, I guessing that a lot of the information you are asking
      about will be on the website www.sobor2006.com but right now that
      website is still under construction.

      > > 1. Is there a list of participants that is available and can be
      shared?

      > I assume there is a complete list somewhere but afaik it hasn't
      been published. The names of the delegates chosen by each of the
      various dioceses have been published in various reports, but not a
      single list all in one place.

      > > 2. Will all the Bishops be attending from day 1 (May 6th)?
      >
      > One would assume since this is an opportunity them to hear the
      voices of the poeple. They were all present every day at the all
      diaspora clergy conference in Nyack.

      > > 3. Is there an agenda available?
      >
      > The schedule will be posted on the website
      >
      > > 4. Are there members of the clergy/laity that are not the ones
      selected by the dioceses participating by presenting speeches/views?

      > yes, the speakers will not necessarily be elected delegates.
      >
      > > 5. Will there be daily announcements issued on the proceedings
      and will they be posted on the internet?

      > Don't know.
      >
      > > 6. Will the council be video taped? It will be a historical
      occasion.

      > Don't know
      >
      > > 7. How will the meeting work? What will happen during the 9
      days? Why 9 days? Will it take all 9 days? What happens if on Day 1
      a vote is taken and all are against working with MP? What will
      happen day to day? Are there working documents that need to be
      approved by the council? Will there be sub committees formed to
      determine what the next step(s) will be? Will the council determine
      a timeline for events that need to occur? For example, communion for
      ROCOR members will be allowed in MP churches on Day X, on day Y
      clergy of both churches can concelebrate, etc.

      > 9 days to encompass 2 weekends so that we can begin with liturgy
      and end with liturgy. There will be presentations regarding the
      situation with the MP for the first half of the conference with some
      kind of a resolution made by the delegates at the end of that
      period. The last part of the conference will be dedicated to
      presentations and discussions regarding the future direction of our
      Church in other matters such as youth, missions, etc.

      > > 8. Will the Moscow Patriarchate members of the commision
      participate?

      > No one other than ROCOR members will be present at the meetings
      other than the invited observer from the Serbian Church who will be
      present but will not participate.

      > > 9. Is the Synod meeting right after the council?
      >
      > yes
      >
      > > Is the decision a simple majority rules? The councils decisions
      are not binding from what I understand. It is ultimately up to the
      Synod to decide.

      > I don't know that rules of procedure will be proposed, however you
      are correct in that the resolutions of the assembly are
      recommendations to the hierarchal sobor, but that any decisions are
      up to the Hierarchal Sobor (not the Synod) itself

      > Sobor = gathering of all the bishops
      > Synod = the "executive committee" of the Sobor
      >
      > Protopriest David Moser
      > St Seraphim of Sarov Orthodox Church (ROCOR)
      > Boise, ID
      > email: moserd@...

      > Jewish orthodox Orthodox Orthodox church Greek
      orthodox church Sect of judaism

      Service.