15879Re: [rocaclergy] RE: letter to V.Rev. Ilya Gorsky

  • Richard
    Dec 31, 2005
      --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, "vkozyreff" <vladimir.
      kozyreff@s...> wrote:

      > Dear Father John,
      >
      > Your write: If they do not mind falsely besmirching the
      reputations
      > of our hierarchs and loyal clergy, then "thou shalt not bear
      false
      > witness" and the rest of the 10 Commandments, play no role
      for them;
      > and they are foreign to Christian charity.
      >
      > It is a particularly exquisite treat to hear from a supporter of the
      > union with sergianism, that its opponents bear false witness.
      We have
      > been told at lenghth by Father Alexander Lebedeff that only
      armchair
      > dreamers could believe that the Church might have been
      saved without
      > false witnesses.
      >
      > In Christ,
      >
      > Vladimir Kozyreff

      Fr. John's observation about bearing false witness stands right
      on. You not only attributed an asserion to Fr. John that he didn't
      originate, but it's a distortion of what was actually written. Earlier
      in October in post #15262, Fr. John quoted the "Epistle to the
      Flock" by the Synod of Bishops of the ROCOR in 1933. The
      epistle states...

      "We are taking fully into account the extraordinary difficulties of
      the position of Metropolitan Sergius, who is now the de facto
      head of the Church of Russia, and are aware of the heavy
      burden of responsibility for the fate of the latter, which lies upon
      him. No one, therefore, has the audacity to accuse him for the
      mere attempt to enter into dialogue with the Soviet regime so as
      to obtain legal standing for the Church of Russia. Not without
      foundation does the deputy locum tenens of the Patriarchal
      Throne say in his aforementioned Declaration that only
      "armchair dreamers can think that such a vast community as our
      Orthodox Church, with all its organization, can exist peacefully in
      a country while walling itself off from the authorities."

      In Christ,
      Richard.
    • Show all 5 messages in this topic