15662Re: The difference

  • orthodoxchurch_sg
    Dec 11, 2005
      <vladimir.kozyreff@s...> wrote:

      > Dear KYRH,
      >
      > Sergianism and ecumenism are brothers, children of the same father
      > and always linked with one another.
      >
      > In Christ,
      >
      > Vladimir Kozyreff

      Evlogeite!
      I am reluctant to say 'nonsense' but what you write - clearly - has
      no sense.
      What is known as "ecumenism" grew out of Protestant denominations
      trying to share resources in evangelising (and can, in its modern
      form, be seen to start in the 1910 Edinburgh conference); what is
      known as "Sergianism", in its modern form, grows out of a fear of
      facing martyrdom, among Orthodox, under the persecution of atheist
      forces, and a mistaken belief that a form of religious appeasement
      would be necessary for the Church to survive.
      All rather different.
      You might argue that one of the corollaries of "Sergianism" is
      pressure on the Russian Orthodox Church to engage in ecumenical
      activities, primarily membership of the WCC; but that is not what you
      wrote.

      God bless / Fr Daniel
    • Show all 27 messages in this topic