15642Re: one dimensional church

  • Fr. John McCuen
    Dec 9, 2005
      --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, "podnoss" <podnoss@y...> wrote:

      > It seems inapt to defend the actions of Met. Sergius & his disciples
      > under the heading "salvation": the total identification of this
      > group with a cruelly militant atheistic Government was a matter of
      > physical survival & not a case of state/church niceties.

      It is mind-boggling to think that there are people today who, without
      having been under the Bolshevik yoke, feel qualified to sit in
      judgment of those who had to endure unspeakable tortures. May God
      have mercy on each of us as we give an account of our lives, and the
      decisions that we made; and may He bless us, as we have time before we
      depart this life, to be spared the choices that each Russian Orthodox
      Christian had to make under the Bolshevik regime.

      > Theologically speaking this is losing Faith. So what you had was a
      > faithless clergy which developed a cultlike hypocritical
      > consciousness that considered rites to be the church's only
      > important function. In the sociology of Christian religion such a
      > narrow interpretation of "salvation" is sectarianism.

      Mr. Walker: May I suggest, if you have not already done so, that you
      read the book, "Father Arseny 1983-1973: Priest, Prisoner, SPiritual
      Father," translated by Vera Bouteneff, published by St. Valdimir's
      Seminary Press in 2002; and then tell us about the "faithless clergy"
      in their "cultlike hypocritical consciousness" and the empty rites
      they performed.

      unworthy Priest John McCuen
    • Show all 27 messages in this topic