15252Re: off topic? Strange question re: bears.

  • vkozyreff
    Oct 4, 2005
      Dear Matushka,

      Bears are not that terrible to orthodox.

      One was a friend to St Seraphim of Sarov.

      http://www.vniief.ru/church/holy.html

      Another one rescued Metropolitan Peter while in exile. He was thrown
      out of railway a carriage to freeze to death, while Met Sergius was
      writing declarations.

      http://www.synodinresistance.gr/Theo_en/E3d5023NMPetr.pdf

      Holy martyr St Dorymedon was spared by the bear to which he had been
      given by his torturers to be eaten up.

      http://www.orthodox.net/menaion-september/19-holy-martyrs-trophimus-
      sabbatius-and-dorymedon.html

      In God,

      Vladimir Kozyreff

      --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, "(matushka) Ann Lardas"
      <matanna@a...> wrote:
      > Recently I gave someone the "Little House" books in which Papa
      shoots
      > bear and they use bear grease on traps and the furs for jackets. I
      > read a hilarious article by Jean Kerr once about the time that her
      > mother told the children in her family they could each invite a
      > friend for dinner and served what later turned out to be bear meat.
      > And I was wondering, and thought surely someone on this list would
      > know:
      >
      > What did they do, in pre-revolutionary Russia, with the bears and
      > wolves that they shot?
      >
      > Did human consume the meat? Did pets?
      >
      > Is there a canon against eating things that could potentially eat
      > people?
      >
      > These are strange questions, but I thought people on this list were
      > more likely to know than anyone else.
      >
      > Thanks.
      >
      > In Christ,
      > Matushka Ann Lardas