15227Re: Countdown with Keith Olbermann' for Sept. 27th

  • vkozyreff
    Oct 3, 2005
      Dear GB,

      Below is a summary of Ushakov's actions against the French revolution.

      In God,

      Vladimir Kozyreff

      ...Several years later a rash of Napoleonic wars that engulfed Europe
      in the wake of the French Revolution forced Russian Emperor Pavel I
      to dispatch Field Marshal Alexander Suvorov to Northern Italy and
      Admiral Ushakov into the Mediterranean to take on the French who had
      fortified their positions on the Ionian islands. This time round
      Turkey and Russia were fighting hand in hand and Ushakov led a joint
      Russian-Turkish flotilla to engage the French troops who had dug
      themselves in on the Mediterranean islands. Several artful landing
      operations later the French were forced to vacate the islands and
      fall back. In that naval campaign Fyodor Ushakov distinguished
      himself in the assault on the impregnable fortress on Corfu Island
      and its subsequent capture in 1799. Getting word of that momentous
      victory Alexander Suvorov, now a Generalissimo, wished he had fought
      in that battle even as a midshipman. Shortly after capturing the
      Corfu Island and the Ionian Islands the Russian squadron commended by
      Admiral Ushakov drove the French out of Rome and Naples. These
      victories led to the establishment of the so-called Seven-Island
      Republic – a Greek Orthodox state and a protectorate of the Russian
      Emperor Pavel I.

      http://www.vor.ru/English/whims/whims_017.html

      Bonaparte's expedition seized Malta from the Knights of Saint John on
      June 9 1799 and then landed successfully at Alexandria on July 1,
      eluding (temporarily) pursuit by the Royal Navy. Although Bonaparte
      had massive success against the native Mamluk army in the Battle of
      the Pyramids (his 25,000 man strong invading force defeated a 100,000
      man army), his fleet was largely destroyed by Nelson at The Battle of
      the Nile, so that Bonaparte became land-bound. His goal of
      strengthening the French position in the Mediterranean Sea was thus
      frustrated, but his army nonetheless succeeded in consolidating power
      in Egypt, although it faced repeated nationalist uprisings.

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Napoleon_Bonaparte

      --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, "G. B." <barabtarlog@m...>
      wrote:
      > Rev. Alex Kotar wrote:
      >
      > > "Admiral Ushakov was a Russian (not of the Communist era) hero
      who
      > >helped repel the
      > >invasion of Napoleon."
      >

      > The latter statement is dubious: Adm. Ushakov had retired before
      the
      > invasion of 1812, and although he was elected head of the local
      > militia (Tambov?) he declined owing to infirmity. If help he did,
      it
      > must have been by prayer alone.
      >
      > GB
    • Show all 9 messages in this topic