14738Re: [orthodox-synod] Re: Antioch in Communion with Monophysites?!

    Aug 5, 2005
      Athanasios Jayne wrote:

      > FOR THE
      > IMPIOUS PERSON, ALTHOUGH HE MAY NOT HAVE BEEN
      > VERBALLY ANATHEMATIZED BY ANYONE, NEVERTHELESS
      > HE REALLY IS ANATHEMATIZED, HAVING SEPARATED
      > HIMSELF FROM THE TRUE LIFE BY HIS IMPIETY."
      >
      > --The Decree of the Holy Fifth Ecumenical
      > Council.

      JRS: The above means the same thing as saying that a sinner, while unrepenting, separates
      himself from the True Life.

      However, no one else on earth can be expected to know this for certain. The separation is
      internal, spiritual, and not a matter of Canon Law.

      Deacons, priests, and bishops are all sinners, in varying degrees. But despite that, unless
      they are suspended or defrocked by the Church, their ministrations remain genuine, and the
      faithful are not cut off from the True Life.

      > "But if anyone at all shall not observe and
      > embrace the aforesaid decrees, and teach and
      > preach in accordance therewith, but shall
      > attempt to set himself in opposition thereto,
      > let him be anathema, according to the decree
      > already promulgated by the approved holy and
      > blessed Fathers, and let him be cast out and
      > stricken off as an alien from the number of
      > Christians."
      >
      > --Canon I of the Holy Sixth Ecumenical
      > Council.

      JRS: Note the words: "Let him be anathema", and "let him be cast out"; not: "He is
      automatically anathematized and automatically cast out, by the living action of this Canon".

      Thus it remains up to the hierarchy to decide how to deal with each case, or to take no action
      at all.