14428Re: Associated Press Reports on Documents

  • vkozyreff
    Jul 1, 2005
      Dear Father John, bless.

      You write: "Are you saying that any of the Russian monasteries do
      have swimming pools?"

      Please see below.

      In God,

      Vladimir Kozyreff

      Ecumenical News International (ENI)

      Mushrooms and French soup are a feast fit for a patriarch

      Jonathan Luxmoore
      Warsaw (ENI). The head of Russia's Orthodox church has revealed that
      he likes picking mushrooms and eating French onion soup, but he
      dislikes mobile cell phones, and avoids carrying one himself.

      "I'm a mushroom collector - it's my real hobby," said Patriarch
      Alexei II in an interview with Russia's Gazieta daily newspaper,
      saying he had also developed a yearning for onion soup while staying
      in Paris four decades ago.

      In the interview published on 3 May, the 76-year-old patriarch said
      he preferred his country seat outside Moscow, with its library,
      running track and swimming pool, to his official city-centre
      residence. He added that he had been advised by doctors to take "at
      least 8000 steps daily".

      http://www.eni.ch/articles/display.shtml?05-0368

      <vrevjrs@e...> wrote:
      > Vladimir Kozyreff wrote:
      >
      > > The apostolic succession of the present "MP" is at least
      disputed.
      > > The true MP was destroyed by Stalin and ceased to exist. Later, a
      > > false one was created by Stalin, which claimed (logically, how
      else?)
      > > to be the continuation of the true MP. The true MP was our mother
      > > Church, not the present, false MP.
      >
      > JRS: Who consecrated Metropolitan Sergius and the other bishops of
      the Moscow
      > Patriarchate?
      >
      > When we speak of "apostolic succession", this is what we have in
      mind: not the declarations
      > or statements made by bishops, but by the fact that they were
      consecrated by other bishops,
      > and that those bishops in turn were consecrated by others, in a
      succession going back to the
      > Apostles.
      >
      > > You write"If the Patriarchate itself had no authority whatever,
      it
      > > could hardly invalidate anything: not even the statements of
      > > Metropolitan Sergius".
      > >
      > > The "Patriarch" is not requested to exert any authority, but to
      > > acknowledge his not being a patriarch, to disappear from public
      life
      > > and to abandon his false pretences.
      >
      > JRS: He has not done that, nor has our Church Abroad ever asked him
      to.

      > However, if, as in your previous posting, you derive
      any "validation" or "invalidation" from the
      > official statements of the Moscow Patriarchate -- then you do give
      it some recognition.

      > > He would be well inspired to
      > > retire in a monastery without a swimming pool.
      >
      > JRS: Are you saying that any of the Russian monasteries do have
      swimming pools?

      > In Christ
      > Fr. John R. Shaw
    • Show all 16 messages in this topic