13722RE: [orthodox-synod] Re: Documents Concerning the HOCNA Separation?

    Mar 1, 2005
      Fr. Alexis Duncan wrote:

      > So, we still have the anathema of 1983 in force. We can
      > discuss whether it was contrived or expected or secretly
      > written or slipped in or any other number of charges
      > stemming from our own personal suspicions or prejudices
      > (even though that seems terribly wasteful of intellectual
      > energies). But the bishops did accept it and none of them
      > were dupes were they? So, it seems to me that until they
      > rescind it, we confess it to be true.

      JRS: I have no doubt that the *content* of it is true. I don't think anyone in our Church has
      ever disputed that.

      The issue usually raised by those who make use of it to attack ROCOR, is the claim that
      places all the other Orthodox outside the Church.

      That is manifestly false.

      The anathema is at best only a local measure by the Church Abroad. Regardless of whether it
      is true or not, it does not apply to those who are not under the jurisdiction of the Church
      Abroad, and it does not have any "automatic action" even within the Church Abroad. It is a
      Church law -- not an entity with a life of its own.

      While the Holy Spirit acts through all Orthodox bishops, no local Synod has ever claimed

      The Church Abroad, like the Moscow Patriarchate and the Russian Church before the
      revolution, has made mistakes.