13587Re: [orthodox-synod] Re: music our kids listen to

  • larry most
    Feb 1, 2005
      GLORY TO JESUS CHRISST - GLORY TO HIM FOREVER
      Dear Reader Michael,
      I like most kinds of music and especially classical
      music.(Not the piecies that sound like 2 cats on the
      piano or what I lovingly refer to as "hungarian
      funeral music"). The problem nowdays (I'm dating
      myself) is that what is called "music" isn't music at
      all. I is either a beat with a bunch of words (that
      you really don't want to understand) or a bunch of
      literally banging on guitars and screaming lyrics that
      are sometimes cute and sometimes not. Just my humble
      opinion, so I hope I didn't offend you.
      Love in Christ,
      Sub-deacon Lawrence
      --- Reader Michael Malloy
      <sputnikpsalomschchika@...> wrote:

      > Two comments:
      >
      > The "Heavy Metal" thing in Columbus was blown way
      > out of proportion by
      > the local media here. And I very much believe too
      > much was made over
      > the fans of this stuff. It was presented in a normal
      > way, as if this
      > stuff was good for people. THAT makes me sick.
      >
      > On the comments about good music to listen to, I
      > could go on for hours
      > but I don't want to clutter the list and I can't
      > stay up that late anyway.
      >
      > Just this past weekend our priest spoke about the
      > effects of music,
      > but he was talking more about classical music. I
      > think there are some
      > extremes that were mentioned which I don't agree
      > with. For instance,
      > Mozart was on the list of composers considered
      > somewhat dangerous. OK,
      > so Mozart was a Mason, and his operas are...well,
      > they're operas!
      > Opera by its nature is very un-Orthodox Christian.
      > The discussion
      > went into Goethe and other philosphers who were
      > infulential in the
      > 19th century. I guess Richard Strauss is right out
      > if you want to be
      > picky about it. I happen to love his music and I
      > disagree with his
      > sources of inspiration. I've played orchestral music
      > by R. Strauss -
      > Don Juan, Till Eulenspiegle, etc. It is very well
      > crafted music.
      >
      > What do the rest of you think about classical music?
      > Where do you draw
      > the lines?
      >
      > With a bachelor of music (musicology) I am
      > influenced by my
      > experiences and my studies. I firmly believe
      > classical music is almost
      > 100% perfectly good for Christians to listen to.
      >
      > Reader Michael Malloy
      > Columbus OH

      http://mobile.yahoo.com/maildemo
    • Show all 11 messages in this topic