13586RE: [orthodox-synod] Re: music our kids listen to

  • Fr. Alexis Duncan
    Feb 1, 2005
      Classical is the least of our worries I feel. Of course
      during Lent it is avoided by most families. Actually,
      growing up I heard it at home and became interested on my
      own. Now that I am growing older, I have little taste for
      it. Odd.

      There are some very interesting theories about music. The
      Greeks had the various modes classified as to the effects
      they had on the soul. Seems reasonable to me. Perhaps
      someone with more knowledge about this can offer these

      Maybe there is really not much we can do about kids (or
      adults!) listening to head-banging music. The culture of
      head-bangers is what is frightening. I recently saw a couple
      of "blogs" (bizarre things aren't they...for the Andy Warhol
      fame seekers) of Orthodox Christians that listed their
      favorite bands...head-bangers! Can you imagine...treatises
      on ascetic life, prayer and.......head-bangers.

      Fr. Alexis Duncan
      Joy of All Who Sorrow Russian Orthodox Church
      Atlanta, GA