12776Re: [orthodox-synod] Re: MP nachala sud! Bozos in the woodwork!

  • antiquariu@aol.com
    Oct 26, 2004
      In a message dated 10/26/2004 8:30:08 AM Eastern Standard Time,
      vladimir.kozyreff@... writes:

      Dear Vova,Your argument that tsars are acceptable for illiterate nations and

      have no place in literate nations is not orthodox thinking. Your
      view is humanistic, not faith oriented.

      According to the orthodox thinking, we are on earth to work for our
      salvation. Giving the power to the literate majority rather than to
      an anointed tsar is assuming that literacy (intellectual knowledge)
      is what saves, not faith and rectitude.

      Good try, Vladimir, but not cigar. I'm sure I've read the Gospels just as
      much as you have, but I've never seen any reference in them that indicates
      trinitarian approval of an anointed Tsar. Besides, the track record has not
      been that good. God-anointed monarchs (I won't even say Tsar here, because it's
      a problem in all parts of the world) have a mixed track record at best, and
      the more absolute their power, the more corrupt they tend to be. Give me an
      exceptionb, even one!!!! From Constantine down to Nicholas II, they all
      hedged their bets, and even Constantine covered all options by remaining a pagan
      high priest until the end. We won't even talk about the Byzantine emperors,
      but their is a poignant reason that the language refers to frequently
      murderous and opprtunistic, backstabbing politics as Byzantine. Doesn't exactly
      speak for the religious efficacy of the position; frankly, US presidents tend
      to have a lot more altruism than any emperor of the Romans or the Russians
      ever demonstrated, and that includes the worst of the lot.

      No, Vladimir, faith and rectitude are much more important than literacy, but
      you have proposed a non-sequitur. Sort of like: "I'd rather be poor and
      happy and rich and miserable." How about literacy, and faith and rectitude? A
      clod is too easily manipulated by that anointed ruler who is not altruistic...

      In Christ,

      Vova Hindrichs