12055Re: "Secrecy" [was: Commissions in Soviet culture]

    Aug 3, 2004
      Fr. victor Boldewskul wrote:

      > What about all the nonpublic commissions (including scores of
      > ones) in the 19th century? I hope we are not going to accuse Emperor
      > I of communist tactics.

      JRS: For that matter, the meetings of the Holy Synod were also private.

      In the Church Abroad, there was one period when the Synod meetings were
      held openly in the Synodal cathedral, under Metropolitan Anastassy.
      Laity were permitted to attend, though of course they had to be
      respectful and silent.

      Later, at least from the time of Metropolitan Philaret, the Synod
      meetings were no longer public, and no one except the actual Synod
      members were admitted.

      The accounts of the proceedings were always skimpy and minimal, and
      from what Vl. Nikon and Vl. Seraphim told me, much was discussed by the
      bishops that was never indicated, in any way, in the record.

      It seems odd that only now, when it suits certain people, we are
      beginning to hear these accusations of "secrecy"!