11573Re: [orthodox-synod] letters to the Synod of Bishops

    Jun 30, 2004
      George Spruksts wrote:

      > The Russian text *literally* says:
      >
      > "We, who have signed below [i.e., we, the signatories (of this
      letter)],

      > insistently [or: steadfastly; or: resolutely]
      >
      > turn ourselves to [i.e., petition; or: entreat; or: appeal to; or:
      request of]

      > You that You not make any decisions in the matter of rapprochement
      with the
      > present-day Moscow Patriarchate..."

      JRS: My point was that the English translation inserts the
      word "respectfully", a word which is *not* in the Russian original.

      Thus, English readers can be misled about that what they are being
      asked to sign.

      I quite understand that Mr. Spruksts has spoken Russian all his life. I
      have spoken Russian since I was 14.