10634Re: [orthodox-synod] The Mission of the Church Abroad?

  • Paul O. BARTLETT
    May 2, 2004
      On Sat, 1 May 2004, Joachim Wertz wrote:

      > [much trimmed] Personally I think that
      > all priests of any liturgical tradition should at least be able to read the
      > respective liturgical language of their Churches and traditions.

      I presume, then, that western Orthodox priests should know Latin?
      After all, the heritage of western Orthodoxy was transmitted in Latin,
      not Greek or Slavonic. There are Orthodox Christians (in ROCOR itself,
      if my information is correct) who celebrate a western Liturgy (which
      some of them may even call Mass, horror of horrors) rather than the
      Liturgies of St. John Chrysostom and St. Basil. The Latin Liturgy of
      St. Gregory the Great and Gregorian and Ambrosian chant have ancient
      Orthodox roots. For all I know, there may be Orthodox monks who
      follow the Rule of St. Benedict, who as nearly as I can tell was a
      great Orthodox saint.

      --
      Paul Bartlett
      bartlett "at" smart "dot" net