10605Re: [orthodox-synod] The Cry of the New Martyrs ?

    May 1, 2004
      X.B.!
      X.A.!

      Fr. Anastasy wrote:

      > I have often wanted to ask your recollection(s) regarding the
      following:

      > 1) Is it true we (ROCOR) was asked to join SCOBA (Standing Conference
      of
      > Orthodox Bishops in America) ... -- but we declined or refused?

      JRS: Yes, we were invited, and at first ROCOR began to take part. Fr.
      George Grabbe attended the first meeting of SCOBA.

      However, he was afraid that we might encounter MP clergy there, which
      would be "awkward", so without refusing or declining, ROCOR simply
      stopped sending a representative.

      > 2) I have always heard that we concelebrated with the other Orthodox
      > Churches and is this true?

      JRS: Yes, it is true.

      > 3) If so, which ones and in what time frame? Did it include the
      Greek
      > Archdiocese?

      JRS: It included all the other Orthodox jurisdictions, at first, except
      the Moscow Patriarchate. There was even limited concelebration with the
      American Metropolia (since renamed the OCA), limited to non-eucharistic
      services such as Vespers, but then this was stopped after the OCA began
      taking in clergy who had been suspended by ROCOR.

      And yes, it definitely included the Greek Archdiocese. I myself saw
      Metropolitan Philaret and Archbishop Iakovos excehange the kiss of
      peace in the Royal Gates of the Synodal cathedral in NYC, on the eve of
      Metropolitan Anastassy's funeral in May of 1965.

      There was full eucharistic communion with the Greek Archdiocese, not
      only by priests, but also by bishops. The Greek Archbishop Michael
      spoke Russian and was on friendly terms with our bishops; Archbishop
      Seraphim of Chicago and Detroit recalled how Archbishop Michael would
      sometimes ask him to make visitations of Greek Archdiocese parishes,
      when he himself was not able to do so (Vl. Seraphim could serve in
      accented Greek, with some difficulty).

      > 4) When did we actually cease concelebrating? [It it appears that it
      was
      > long after the 1965 lifting of the Anathemas.]

      JRS: We still received then-Priestmonk Panteleimon (John Metropoulos)
      with his Holy Transfiguration Monastery by canonical transfer from the
      Ecumenical Patriarchate in the summer of 1965. The Greek Archdiocese
      yearbook listed us as a group with whom they were in full communion for
      two or three years after that.

      Concelebrations continued in Europe long after 1965, and there was
      never any official breaking of communion: only a de facto withdrawal
      from contacts, which was easy enough because in those days our Russian
      parishes lived "in a world apart".

      > Also, reference to form of address of bishops:
      > the Greeks use "Your Eminence" for both Archbishop and Metropolitan
      and
      > "Your Grace" for Bishops.

      JRS: Yes, I realize that. Some of our clergy in Europe have also
      used "Your Excellence" for Archbishops. I am not arguing that there is
      one right way, only that till quite recently, we had a more or less
      standardized system...