10411Re: [orthodox-synod] Congratulations to Putin

    Apr 1, 2004
      Nicholas Zaharov wrote:

      > > >If George W. Bush is re-elected in the near future, I wonder if
      > > >Metropolitan Laurus will also send him a letter of
      congratulations. I'm
      > > >guessing, though, our Church will not need to do this.

      JRS: In 1972, when President Nixon was reelected, Archbishop Nikon
      (Rklitsky) of Washington and Florida, vice-President of the Synod of
      Bishops, wrote him a letter of congratulation.

      As Vl. Nikon's secretary, I prepared that letter for his signature.

      There was a brief, but polite, reply, signed by President Nixon.