10408Re: [orthodox-synod] Congratulations to Putin

  • Fr. Alexander Lebedeff
    Apr 1, 2004
      Zina Kochnaya wrote:

      >Metr. Laurus is an American Citizen, not Russian.

      So what? He is the First Hierarch of a world-wide **Russian** Orthodox
      Church, with parishes and monasteries in over 40 countries.

      The fact that the headquarters of the Church Abroad, at this point, happen
      to be in New York is not relevant. The center of the Church Abroad could
      just as well be in Australia, or somewhere in Europe, for that matter.

      > In fact he is Ukranian.

      He would be most surprised to find out this "fact."

      He, is, in fact, Carpatho-Russian by origin--not Ukrainian.

      >I am surprised at this news and your statement, Fr. Alexander. I don't think
      >Metr. Laurus should have sent his congratulations. It is political.

      It is not political when the leader of the Russian Church (Abroad)
      congratulates the leader of the Russian State. It is common courtesy.

      Was St. Paul's directive to pray for the pagan Roman Emperor political?

      With love in Christ,

      Prot. Alexander Lebedeff