10187Re: ROCA-ROCOR members in Moscow (Official)

  • vkozyreff
    Feb 12, 2004
      Dear Father John, bless.

      You say that the MP is not interested by the ROCOR properties. What
      is then the meaning of the well known ROCOR declaration below?

      "Statement of the Synod of Bishops of the Russian Orthodox Church
      Outside of Russia to the Russian Orthodox People
      The leadership of the Moscow Patriarchate has now officially declared
      that it views the property of the Russian Church Outside of Russia as
      belonging to itself, for only it, and no other, is the "sole legal
      heir to the property of the pre-Revolutionary Church," which,
      consequently, "is being held by the schismatics abroad illegally,"
      and that such a decision "is accepted by the Orthodox believing
      people of Russia with joy and profound gratitude.""

      http://www.russianorthodoxchurch.ws/english/pages/poslania/statementof
      synod.html

      What is the reason why Father Peter Kholodny, explicitly named as
      the "ROCOR's treasurer" went to Moscow at such an early stage of the
      union's process? One would have expected that the Synod's treasurer
      would have had nothing to discuss with the MP, unless financial
      matters were on the agenda.

      DELEGATION OF THE RUSSIAN ORTHODOX CHURCH OUTSIDE OF RUSSIA VISITS
      MOSCOW

      A delegation of the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia
      consisting of Archbishop Mark of Berlin and Germany, Archbishop
      Hilarion of Sydney, Australia and New Zealand, Bishop Kyrill of San
      Francisco and Western America, Archpriest Nikolai Artemoff, secretary
      of the German diocese and Archpriest Peter Holodny, treasurer of the
      Synod of Bishops, arrived in Moscow on 17 November 2003 at the
      invitation of the Russian Orthodox Church-Moscow Patriarchate.

      Press-release, November 19. 2003
      http://www.russian-orthodox-church.org.ru/ne311192.htm

      We have no animosity towards Father Peter, on the contrary. Some of
      the French ROCOR (V) faithful recall that Father Peter Kholodny, who
      was spending his holidays in Cannes in June 2001, kindly attended at
      that time with the ROCOR (V) faithful, the liturgy celebrated by Vl
      Varnava, just after the latter had left the Synod (L).

      Please do not see here any "desire merely to enhance the fortunes of
      ROCiE, and to hurt ROCOR, no matter by what means", but just the wish
      to understand.

      In God,

      <vrevjrs@e...> wrote:
      > Elena Baranova wrote:
      >
      > > > If one reads Russian news articles on the proposed union
      between
      > > ROCOR and MP, including MP and orthodox publications, their
      emphasis
      > is
      > > on ROCOR assets, number of parishes and ROCOR cash flow.
      >
      > JRS: Just to show what nonsense such claims are, the Church Abroad
      has
      > been very hard-pressed for funds now for a long time.
      >
      > The main reason for this, is that people donate so little to the
      > Church.
      >
      > The recent influx of new people from Russia has not helped the
      problem
      > at all, since many of them suppose that in America, the Church is
      > supported by the goverment, or that "the Church is wealthy", as
      your
      > own comments seem to suggest.
      >
      > My impression, in fact, is that the Patriarchal parishes outside of
      > Russia are much more affluent today, than most of the parishes of
      ROCOR!

      > The only purpose in making such absurd claims, would be to cause as
      > much doubt and murmuring among our people as possible: and this, in
      > turn, shows total lack of regard for the welfare of the Church and
      > faithful in general;
      >
      > In Christ
      > Fr. John R. Shaw
    • Show all 15 messages in this topic