10184Re: ROCA-ROCOR members in Moscow (Official)

    Feb 11, 2004
      Elena Baranova wrote:

      > > If one reads Russian news articles on the proposed union between
      > ROCOR and MP, including MP and orthodox publications, their emphasis
      is
      > on ROCOR assets, number of parishes and ROCOR cash flow.

      JRS: Just to show what nonsense such claims are, the Church Abroad has
      been very hard-pressed for funds now for a long time.

      The main reason for this, is that people donate so little to the
      Church.

      The recent influx of new people from Russia has not helped the problem
      at all, since many of them suppose that in America, the Church is
      supported by the goverment, or that "the Church is wealthy", as your
      own comments seem to suggest.

      My impression, in fact, is that the Patriarchal parishes outside of
      Russia are much more affluent today, than most of the parishes of ROCOR!

      The only purpose in making such absurd claims, would be to cause as
      much doubt and murmuring among our people as possible: and this, in
      turn, shows total lack of regard for the welfare of the Church and
      faithful in general; a desire merely to enhance the fortunes of ROCiE,
      and to hurt ROCOR, no matter by what means.