Re: Psalter CTOS

  • David M. James
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 1, 2009
      Dear Nathaniel:

      I would agree that the CTOS translation is an improvement over the
      HTM version, and is lavishly produced, but there are still issues.
      Psalm 22 [23] is a case in point. They seem to have striven here to
      maintain the poetry of the well-known King James translation, on
      which their version is based. A more faithful rendering of the
      Septuagint original would be:

      1 The Lord is my shepherd, and I shall lack nothing.
      2 In a lush place, there hath He made me to dwell; beside a still
      water hath He brought me up.
      3 He hath converted my soul; He hath set me on the paths of
      righteousness, for His Name's sake.
      4 Yea, though I walk in the midst of the shadow of death, I will fear
      no evil, for Thou art with me; Thy rod and Thy staff, they have
      comforted me.
      5 Thou hast prepared a table before me against them that trouble me;
      Thou hast anointed my head with oil, and Thy cup that inebriateth me,
      how strong it is!
      6 And Thy mercy shall follow me all the days of my life, and I will
      dwell in the house of the Lord unto length of days.

      Another place is Ps. 16:14b, which both CTOS and HTM translate
      as "They have satisfied themselves with swine, and have left the rest
      of their substance to their babes." The Slavonic Psalter was
      evidently translated from a variant version of the Septuagint, as the
      Slavonic text for this verse is "nacytishacja synov, i ostavisha
      ostanki mladjentsjem svojim." The Coverdale Psalter gives the correct
      reading:

      "They have children [lit., "sons"] at their desire, and leave the
      rest of their substance for their babes." See Fr. John Shaw's [now
      Bp. Jerome] comment at:

      See also, for example, Ps. 17: 20, where "shirotu" (broad place) is
      translated as "refreshment"; 17:30, where "iskushenia" (temptation)
      is translated as "a troop of brigands"; 17:36 where "nakazanije"
      (punishment, chastening) is translated as "instruction". A list of
      similar discrepencies could go on for pages.

      David James

      Date:
      > 01/29/09 17:57:00

    • natwoon
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 5, 2009
        Hi David,

        I have no idea who it is who does the translation. I know that it was
        originally done my a certain Michael Asser. The book syas something
        about editing being done by people from CTOS. Perhaps a larger team
        effort with more input from more people with expertise in what the LXX
        says would be a better idea.

        I have noticed that the CTOS psalter does not improve on what the HTM
        has done in Psalm 16. Since this was brought up a number of times in
        various forums, one does wonder whay it was not changed...

        Is there a resource that lists the various discrepancies you mention?

        Regards,

        Nathaniel in Malaysia