Re: [orthodox-rocor] Of Possible Interest - synthesizer and Slavonic on-line

  • George
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 6, 2008
      300 dollar is a months wages in Russia making the translation market inaccesible to anyone who does not pay a tax to TRADOS.

      Further (upon checking their site) TRADOS freelance cost 695 euros not 300$.

      https://oos.sdl.com/asp/products/basket.asp?exec=AddItem&PackageID=75645&Quantity=1&from=TZ&PromtionCode=tz_shop

      I suppose if you're willing to pony up the 695 euros up front for anyone who translates for you (since they'd pay you back within a couple of hours) and have them return it from the lofty wages you suggest; that it would make sense to require it.

      Also TRADOS does not support multiple platforms and frankly supports a very limited number of editors.

      Personally while OmegaT has it's limitations I have found it to work as advertised, and far prefer it to making SDL rich with their proprietary formats. Granted there could certainly be something better it's not like a souped up editor with support for multiple files synced up to a database is any sort of rocket science. Even with TRADOS more advanced features none of it's desktop software should run more than 50$. (Especially considering as the only challenging part of what it does is the server/management side)

      It's nothing but price gouging for what is a mediocre implementation of an obvious idea.

      Now that said I would hazard a guess that most Russian translators never pay a dime for TRADOS but that's another issue entirely.

      George Green