Re: [orthodox-rocor] Of Possible Interest - synthesizer and Slavonic on-line

  • antiquariu@aol.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 6, 2008
      Sorry George, but whether you like it or not, TRADOS is the market standard.  Omega T does not work properly, and almost every competent Russian translator I know -- and that's most of them in this country - uses TRADOS as his/her tools base.  Besides, with any competent Russian translator making from a minimum of $120/thousand words on up, and being able to translate 800 to 1500 words per hour, which any of my Russian translators can do in his/her sleep, how is a $300 program expensive, especially when it is compatible with what everyone else in the country is using?

      In Christ,

      Vova Hindrichs

      In a message dated 12/6/2008 11:13:49 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, kharaku@... writes:
      May I suggest that if a database is formed it use an open program like OmegaT rather than software that for no other reason than profiteering is extremely expensive for independent translators?

      George Green

    • George
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 6, 2008
        300 dollar is a months wages in Russia making the translation market inaccesible to anyone who does not pay a tax to TRADOS.

        Further (upon checking their site) TRADOS freelance cost 695 euros not 300$.

        https://oos.sdl.com/asp/products/basket.asp?exec=AddItem&PackageID=75645&Quantity=1&from=TZ&PromtionCode=tz_shop

        I suppose if you're willing to pony up the 695 euros up front for anyone who translates for you (since they'd pay you back within a couple of hours) and have them return it from the lofty wages you suggest; that it would make sense to require it.

        Also TRADOS does not support multiple platforms and frankly supports a very limited number of editors.

        Personally while OmegaT has it's limitations I have found it to work as advertised, and far prefer it to making SDL rich with their proprietary formats. Granted there could certainly be something better it's not like a souped up editor with support for multiple files synced up to a database is any sort of rocket science. Even with TRADOS more advanced features none of it's desktop software should run more than 50$. (Especially considering as the only challenging part of what it does is the server/management side)

        It's nothing but price gouging for what is a mediocre implementation of an obvious idea.

        Now that said I would hazard a guess that most Russian translators never pay a dime for TRADOS but that's another issue entirely.

        George Green