Of Possible Interest

  • Gabriel Sanchez
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 2, 2008
      Dear All,

      This may have been posted before, but as part of 2008 being the "Year of International Languages" according to UNESCO, there is now a free (though incomplete) Slavonic-English dictionary online: http://www.slavonic-english.com/

      To the best of my knowledge, this is the only Slavonic-English dictionary available with the exception of the limited word list that St. Tikhon's Press published many years ago.  It also has paralell texts in Slavonic for the Psalms and the Book of Revelation.  It does rely on modern Russian fonts, however.  Apparently formal publication of this material is pending.

      In XC,

      Gabriel
    • Symeon Noon
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 3, 2008
        Gabriel Sanchez wrote:
        > there is now a free (though incomplete) Slavonic-English dictionary
        > online: http://www.slavonic-english.com/

        Great news for us "adopted Russians" trying to grock the language! This
        is the biggest gap we have, as we've now a good grammar reference.

        The "Special note on the Cyrillic letters" is a tad mysterious, though.
        KGB infiltrators?!?

        /Symeon Noon
        ROCOR, Monterey, California
      • Randy Tijerina
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 3, 2008
          wow! I got a speech synthesizer that can read Russian like a native.
          So I'll check it out.

        • franthony@ellijay.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 3, 2008
            Randy,

            Which speech synthesizer can do that?

            Deacon Anthony

            On Wed Dec 3 13:50 , 'Randy Tijerina' sent:

            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 4, 2008
              For 100,000 British pounds, I would have been happy to create a
              Slavonic-English dictionary for every word in the Psalter and the
              entire New Testament, not just Revelation. I just hope the meaning of
              the entry for ¬à¬ä¬á¬Ñ¬ã¬ä¬Ú¢¬ is not going to be given as "to wither"
              [see Ps. 1:3], and that, in general, they realize that the Slavonic
              Psalter and the King James Psalms represent two different text
              traditions. The Douay-Rheims translation would have been a better
              choice for their parallel text.

              David James
            • DDD
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 4, 2008

                C Prazdnikom to all!

                 The "Special Note" sounds more like UNESCO anti-Russian sentiments than anything else, to me.  (this is just a quick impression based only on that note itself—I have no background information.)

                --Dimitra Dwelley