Re: Boston Globe attacks Solzhenitsyn posthumously

  • Fr. John R. Shaw
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 8, 2008
      --- In orthodox-rocor@yahoogroups.com, "Meg Lark" <woolfolk3@...> wrote:

      > Sholom Aleichum
      > (I'm aware that that's a Jewish greeting, which is why I'm not sure of
      > the name) -- whoever wrote the book that "Fiddler on the Roof" was
      > based on. In the movie, the youngest of Tevye's daughters marries a
      > Christian, making her dead to her family. My question: Does anybody
      > know if that happened in the books? Because I protested to this
      > particular professor that that couldn't possibly have happened as
      > quickly as the movie made it out to have happened; next thing I knew,
      > the class was off the syllabus altogether. So I'm wondering if this
      > was actually part of the book, because, in addition to the class being
      > cancelled -- this particular professor hasn't spoken to me since.
      > (She also once told me that ethnic Russians were "the enemy" to her
      > family.) Hmmm.

      JRS: "Fiddler on the Roof" was actually a remake of a Yiddish-language film version from
      the 1930's, shown some years ago on "TCM".
    • George
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 8, 2008
        posted by George Green

        08 August 2008, 18:25
        Alexy II urges to cease fire in South Ossetia

        Moscow, August 8, Interfax - Patriarch Alexy II of Moscow and All Russia urges parties in the Georgian-Ossetian conflict to show wisdom and sit down at negotiating table.

        "I learned about armed clashes in Tskhinvali and its localities and I urge the opposing parties to cease fire and renew the dialogue," Alexy II's statement is quoted by the Moscow Patriarchate's official website.

        "Today blood is shed and people are killed in South Ossetia and my heart deeply laments over it. Orthodox Christians are among those who have raised their hands against each other. Orthodox peoples called by the Lord to live in fraternity and love confront each other," the Church primate stresses.

        Referring to the appeal of Catholicos-Patriarch Ilia II of Georgia who urged to peace, Patriarch Alexy also turned his "ardent call" to those "who are blind with enmity": "Stop! Don't let more blood shed! Don't let today's conflict boil over! Show wisdom and courage: come to negotiating table to respect traditions, outlook and hopes of Georgian and Ossetian people."

        The Patriarch has stated the Russian Orthodox Church is ready to unite its efforts with the Georgian Church to help peace come. "May Our God, Who is "not a God of disorder but of peace," be our Assistant in it," Alexy II statement says.