Re: 7th Day Adventist

  • Archpriest Stefan Pavlenko
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 30, 2008
      Thank you to all who responded! Will look up the blog, will visit
      Vegan Adventist stores during these lenten streaches!

      --- In orthodox-rocor@yahoogroups.com, staylor72348@... wrote:

      > I believe Matthew Gallatin, author of "Thirsting for God in a Land
      of Shallow Wells," spent some time as a 7th Day Adventist.? His
      website is www.matthewgallatin.com.? He has a regular podcast at
      Ancient Faith Radio and his book (somewhat biographical) is available
      through Concilliar Press.

      > Stephen Taylor
      > St. Benedict Orthodox Church
      > Oklahoma City

      Adventist.

    • volotsky@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 1, 2008

        Dear Father Stefan,

        Father bless!

        My Matushka was a Seventh Day Adventist (SDA), on her father's side if the family they had been SDA for several generations.  Her Father's parents both grew up abroad as SDA missionaries' kids.

        ALthough my wife was educated in SDA schools K - 12, being SDA and/or Protestant was never my Mtka's cup of tea, (good SDAs don't drink tea anyway!) and she doesn't cherish the memories or conversation about them much.  Sometimes she felt it would be impossible to keep being a Christian.  Early on though, she developed devotion to the Theotokos, who protected her.  Her uncle is a Rumanian SDA pastor and gave her an Icon from Rumania of the Theotokos, and she prayed with it right away.  He also took her to Rumania and she saw the monasteries of Moldavia.

        She went to a traditional Roman Catholic College and there as part of the Great Books curriculum they read the whole  of the Scriptures, and St. Athanasius'  "On the Incarnation" (the inexpensive SVS press popular edition).  This really finished off Adventism for her - St. Athanasius had such a better grasp of the Gospel.  The New Testement, when read in its entirety did not place emphasis on Sabbath keeping or other SDA distinctives.  At that college she learned the rosary and went to some of  the latin Masses, but did not develop an attraction Thomas Aquinas, or to St. Augustine.  Moreover, when she attended Mass in parishes away from college it was so different from the traditional Masses, and so like modern Adventist worship (at least in music and "mood").  After finding an Orthodox Church and attending services she was done with Adventism.

        My wife's experience is of one who never internalized or liked key Protestant let alone SDA assumptions.  So her conversion to Orthodoxy is very different from a convinced Protestant or SDA.  We are fortunate in that by the time we married, her parents and sister were catechumens, her sister is now also a diaconissa.  I will forward you email to her father.

        After we met, I asked questions about SDAism and she, not fond of the subject gave me her high school text book "27 things Adventists believe"  which is an exposition of their creedal statements (though they are the sort of Protestants that claim not to have creeds).  The beginning articles on the Trinity and other "basic Christian" beliefs seemed not to bad, not worse than most Protestant writing on the subject, I noticed, though perhaps the authors did not, that the section on the Holy Spirit would logically exclude the filioquae.  But then one hits this sort of wall, after which its like "we're not in Kansas anymore" as one hits the specifically adventist doctrines.  (An Orthodox priest had the same experience reading that book).  I really found them to be quite shocking.

        Some of the weird doctrines are (not all of these are in that book):

        Many early Adventist heroes were Arians, anti-Trinitarian etc.  Adventists believe that the Pre-Eternal Word and the Archangel Michael are the same.  (In my experience, no Orthodox of any jurisdiction, who look at what the SDA church has taught and teaches on the Trinity and the Archangel Michael will consider Adventist baptism such as can be completed by Chrism: ex- Adventists, who  become Orthodox are baptized ).

        Not only is the the 7th day still the Sabbath, (Orthodox agree, it is called Sabbath in Greek and Russian, and is explicitly called the Sabbath in the Services of Great and Holy Saturday and St. Theodore Saturday), but the OT regulations of Sabbath keeping apply to Christians.

        Sabbath keeping is the sign of fidelity.  Sunday keeping is the "mark of the beast"

        The Beast is the Pope of Rome, who will pass Sunday Sabbath laws to Mark the followers of Anti-Christ.  Any true believers in the other Protestant churches, the RC and the Orthodox Church will see the deception and flee to the Sabbath keeping remnant.

        The SDA Church is The Sabbath keeping Remnant to which all true Christians will come at the end.

        Early Adventists (That is William Miller etc.) thought Jesus was coming back in 1844 because (follow carefully!) the Pope had been arrested by Napoleon a few years previous.  This marks the chaining of the Beast.  His time, somehow pulled from Daniel, lasted from some point in Emperor Justinian's reign to Napoleon, because Justinian founded the Roman Catholic Church and Papacy (!!).

        All this was correct. ( again . . .!!!)  Except . . . Jesus was not actually coming back in 1844, but "changing rooms" in heaven from the "Holy Place" to the "Most Holy Place".

        He has done this to start the "investigative judgement" , that is he is reviewing the records, and watch out, he might have come to your name already.  If he gets to your name and you are not yet "saved", or you are back sliding, eating unclean foods, not keeping Sabbath etc.  you are Done.  your "probation" is over, game over.

        How do SDAs know about this change of heavenly location in 1844?  Ellen G. White was a Prophet who told them this, brought in the 7th Day Sabbath Keeping, because it was revealed to her that the 4th commandment was the most important.  She is referred to by good SDAs as Sister White, and her interpretations are authoritative.  Really good SDAs will quote her writings as "The Spirit of Prophecy says. . . " which I find especially creepy.  (To his credit, in 1844, Wm. Miller himself admitted he was wrong and apologized.)

        She also encouraged the "health program" because she discovered that Christians were required to abstain from unclean meats as enumerated in Leviticus.  She also believed that the Scriptures forbid wine.  For good measure, avoid all meat, and also coffee, tea, most spices, ketchup and mustard. And be a vegan if possible.

        Today however, especially since it has been exposed that a whole lot of "Sister White's" enormous out-put of prophetically inspired books were in fact plagiarized, North American Adventists in particular have been keen to down play a lot of the distinctive doctrines.  I think that with any half way open and honest person it can be shown most of what distinguishes SDA from other churches rests more on Ellen White than the Bible, and that she is not a reliable source.

        Deacon Yousuf Rassam

        Holy Virgin Mary Cathedral

        OCA

        Los Angeles CA