Re: Three new ROCOR Bishops

  • Fr. John R. Shaw
    Message 1 of 34 , Jun 24, 2008
      --- In orthodox-rocor@yahoogroups.com, morechoff@... wrote:

      > I am not sure where this "Summary"?came from orginally, but I got if from another
      > forum. Probably translated from Russian.? I trust is accurate.
      > Does Father John keep his name or does he take a new name when becoming a
      > monastic?

      JRS: I certainly hope to keep my present name.

      Changing it would mean redoing all my documents.

      Note that Patriarch Alexy II kept his birth name of Alexy or Alexei, and that in ROCOR
      several archpriests-become-bishops did the same: e.g. Bishop Mitrofan (Znosko-
      Borovsky), Bishop Ioann (Legky), Bishop Alexander (Mileant).

      Here is my own English translation of that article:

      The Synod of the Russian Church has, for the first time, confirmed the election of bishops
      for ROCOR

      Moscow, June 23. INTERFAX - The Holy Synod of the Russian Orthodox Church, at its
      session on Monday in Moscow, has for the first time confirmed the election of bishops for
      the Russian Orthodox Church Outside Russia.

      The Synod members, with Patriarch Alexy II of Moscow and All Russia presiding, have
      confirmed the election of proto-priest John Shaw, cleric of the Diocese of Chicago and the
      Central United States of ROCOR, as Bishop of Manhattan, Vicar of the Diocese of Eastern
      America, with proclamation service and consecration following monastic tonsure and
      elevation to the rank of Archimandrite.

      The Synod also approved the election of Archimandrite George (Schaeffer) of Holy Trinity
      Monastery in Jordanville, as Bishop of Mayfield, Vicar of the Eastern American Diocese, and
      of Archimandrite Feodosy (Ivaschenko) as Bishop of Seattle, Vicar of the Western American
      Diocese of the Church Abroad.

      In this manner, the Synod has complied with the request of Metropolitan Hilarion, First
      Hierarch of ROCOR, to confirm three [as] bishops, whose election took place at the Sobor
      of Bishop of the Church Abroad in May of this year.

      According to Point 7 of the Act of Canonical Communion, the bishops of the Russian
      Orthodox Church Outside Russia are elected by its Sobor of Bishops, or (in cases provided
      for by the Charter of the Russian Orthodox Church Outside Russia) by the Synod of
      Bishops. Elections are to be confirmed on canonical grounds by the Patriarch of Moscow
      and All Russia, and by the Holy Synod of the Russsian Orthodox Church.
    • Fr. John R. Shaw
      Message 34 of 34 , Jun 26, 2008
        --- In orthodox-rocor@yahoogroups.com, Alex Petrovsky <pyc988@...> wrote:

        > Father,
        > What makes these parishes so much different than ROCOR parishes?  I'm sure they have
        > had the same problems keeping the next generation in the Church (a problem that I
        > think is growing even faster among the newer emigres).  Or are the ROCOR parishes
        > more 'Russian' than the MP parishes in this country?  Thank you for your continued
        > support of this forum.

        JRS: First of all, most of the Patriarchal parishes in the United States had been in the
        former American Metropolia, and then had some sort of conflict, which led them to join
        the Patriarchate, often with a lawsuit (which they had won) over the church building.

        The ROCOR parishes typically were formed in the late 1940's or early 1950's, by "2nd
        emigration" people, that is, by Russians who had left the Soviet Union during World War II,
        or else who had been in the Balkans, the Baltic States, China, France or Germany between
        the wars.

        ROCOR has some parishes that do not fit that pattern (e.g. Mayfield), and so does the
        Patriarchate (e.g. St. Nicholas Cathedral on 97th St.).

        In Christ
        Fr. John R. Shaw