Three new ROCOR Bishops

  • morechoff@aol.com
    Message 1 of 34 , Jun 23, 2008
      I am not sure where this "Summary" came from orginally, but I got if from another forum. Probably translated from Russian.  I trust is accurate.

      Three new Bishops in ROCOR
      1. Bishop John(?) (Shaw) of Manhattan, NY
      2. Bishop George (Schaeffer) of Mayfield, PA (I believe its Mayfield,PA. I dont know of any other Mayfield)
      3. Bishop Feodosy (Ivashchenko) of Seattle, WA

      Does Father John keep his name or does he take a new name when becoming a monastic?

      Michael Orechoff
      CA

      -----------------
      [SUMMARY: The MP Holy Synod, held on June 23, 2008 heard and later
      approved the request +Ilarion, Metropolitan of Eastern America and New
      York, First Hierarch of the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of the
      Russia, to confirm the election of Protopriest John Shaw as bishop of
      Manhattan, vicar of the Eastern American Diocese; Archimandrite George
      (Schaeffer) as Bishop Mayfield,vicar of the Eastern American Diocese;
      and Archimandrite Feodosy (Ivashchenko) as Bishop of Seattle, vicar of
      the Western American Diocese of the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of
      Russia.]

    • Fr. John R. Shaw
      Message 34 of 34 , Jun 26, 2008
        --- In orthodox-rocor@yahoogroups.com, Alex Petrovsky <pyc988@...> wrote:

        > Father,
        > What makes these parishes so much different than ROCOR parishes?  I'm sure they have
        > had the same problems keeping the next generation in the Church (a problem that I
        > think is growing even faster among the newer emigres).  Or are the ROCOR parishes
        > more 'Russian' than the MP parishes in this country?  Thank you for your continued
        > support of this forum.

        JRS: First of all, most of the Patriarchal parishes in the United States had been in the
        former American Metropolia, and then had some sort of conflict, which led them to join
        the Patriarchate, often with a lawsuit (which they had won) over the church building.

        The ROCOR parishes typically were formed in the late 1940's or early 1950's, by "2nd
        emigration" people, that is, by Russians who had left the Soviet Union during World War II,
        or else who had been in the Balkans, the Baltic States, China, France or Germany between
        the wars.

        ROCOR has some parishes that do not fit that pattern (e.g. Mayfield), and so does the
        Patriarchate (e.g. St. Nicholas Cathedral on 97th St.).

        In Christ
        Fr. John R. Shaw