Re: [orthodox-rocor] Red Paschal Vestments - An Example in Greece

  • Nicholas Richard
    Message 1 of 4 , May 8, 2008
      Alas, since when have Greeks ever cared about missionary work among "average Americans?"  You would be lucky to hear 5 words of English on any given Sunday in a Greek church in America, irreguardless of whether it was new or old calendar (actually, you would probably be more likely to hear English during services in Old Calendar Greek churches than you would in the New Calendar ones -- that has been my expirience anyway).  Americans would only get in the way of the Greek culture club that 95% of Greeks think that Orthodoxy is about anyway.

      ХристофорЪ | Hristofor Shashkin <hristofor01@...> wrote:
      AA!

      Stunningly beautiful marble mosaic floor. I guess they haven't done frescoes yet... Are the red vestments from Bright Monday or did the Paschal Divine Liturgy last until morning?
      Alas, the name of the jurisdiction would be a bit of a turnoff for missionary work among your average Americans...

      On Thu, May 8, 2008 at 6:49 AM, Stephen/Στέφανος <sbuatl@comcast. net> wrote:

      http://www.synodinr esistance. org/Annals_ el/2a1156MegPara skeve&Pasxa-08.pdf

      *ΧΡΙΣΤΟΣ ΑΝΕΣΤΗ!*
      *CHRIST IS RISEN!*
      *Христос Воскресе!*

      Stephanos

      --
      Christopher Shashkin
      Columbia U/CCSR

    • James Royal Prickett, Ph.D.
      Message 2 of 4 , May 8, 2008
        Honestly, when I told my Greek Priest that I believed that the
        ammount of Greek used in the service should roughly equal the amount
        needed for the homily, he replied "So are you saying I should throw
        some Greek into my sermon?"

        --- In orthodox-rocor@yahoogroups.com, Nicholas Richard <savva70@...>

        <sbuatl@...> wrote:

        > http://www.synodinresistance.org/Annals_el/2a1156MegParaskeve&Pasxa-