Itar-Tass: ROCOR head Metropolitan Laurus dies

  • Al Green
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 16, 2008
      ROCOR head Metropolitan Laurus dies

      NEW YORK, March 16 (Itar-Tass) -- Metropolitan Laurus, head of the
      Russian Orthodox Church Outside Russia (ROCOR), died in the American
      city of Jordanville, the Synod of Bishops said.

      A funeral service for Metropolitan Laurus was held at the Holy
      Trinity Monastery, a source at the American office of ROCOR told Itar-
      Tass.

      The metropolitan died in his residence located on the monastery
      premises.

      Metropolitan Laurus of Eastern America and New York Diocese, First
      Hierarch of the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia, Ruling
      Bishop of the Syracuse-Holy Trinity Diocese and Patriarch of Moscow
      and all Russia Alexy II signed the Act of Canonical Communion, which
      ended the split of the Russian Orthodox Church, at the Savior
      Cathedral in Moscow on May 17, 2007.

      Vasily Skurla, as Metropolitan Laurus was in the secular world, was
      born on
      1 January 1928, in the village of Ladomirovo (aka Vladomirovo in its
      Russianised form) in Czechoslovakia. He grew up in a staunchly
      Orthodox family despite the surrounding influence of the Roman
      Catholic Church and the historic past of the Austro-Hungarian Empire.
      In 1939, aged 11 years, Vasily joined the St Job of Pochaev
      Brotherhood which had a monastery in Ladomirovo and remained with
      them throughout the WW2. In 1946 he migrated together with the
      Brotherhood to Jordanville in upstate New York, USA.

      In 1948 he was tonsured to the monastic life and renamed Laurus. The
      following year he was ordained deacon, and in 1954 to the priesthood.
      By 1966 Fr Laurus was elevated to the rank of archimandrite and was a
      lecturer at the Holy Trinity Seminary, attached to the Holy Trinity
      Monastery in Jordanville. Fr Laurus was consecrated Bishop of
      Manhattan on 13 August 1967 and appointed Secretary of the Synod of
      Bishops.

      After the death of Archbishop Averky Taushev in 1976, Bishop Laurus
      was appointed bishop, and later archbishop, of Syracuse and Holy
      Trinity Monastery. In October 2001, upon the retirement of
      Metropolitan Vitaly Ustinov, Archbishop Laurus was elected by the
      Synod of Bishops, to be the fifth Metropolitan of the Russian
      Orthodox Church Abroad and its Primate. Today, Metropolitan Laurus
      continues to be the Superior of the Holy Trinity Monastery, in
      addition to his other pontifical duties.
    • Carol Surgant
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 16, 2008
        The news story from Itar-Tass is incorrect.  The 1st Pannykhida was served today.  The funeral is expected to be on Friday, because it will take days for all the hierarchs to arrive from overseas.

        >A funeral service for Metropolitan Laurus was held...
        If you run the Russian word "Pannychida" through a translator pgm you get "requiem", which some might think was the actual funeral, if the writer was not Orthodox.

        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 16, 2008
          http://www.russiatoday.ru/news/news/22188/video

          Reader Philosoph Uhlman
          St Sophia, Victoria BC
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 17, 2008
            On Sun, Mar 16, 2008 at 11:39 PM, Carol Surgant <casurgant@...> wrote:

            > The news story from Itar-Tass is incorrect. The 1st Pannykhida was served
            > today. The funeral is expected to be on Friday, because it will take days
            > for all the hierarchs to arrive from overseas.

            [ml] OH NO!!! I notice that no date was mentioned -- does anybody
            know the date of his death?

            In Christ,
            Meg Lark

            --
            Memory eternal!
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 17, 2008
              It was some time during the night, presumably the early hours of Sunday.

              Meg Lark <woolfolk3@...> wrote:
              On Sun, Mar 16, 2008 at 11:39 PM, Carol Surgant wrote:

              > The news story from Itar-Tass is incorrect. The 1st Pannykhida was served
              > today. The funeral is expected to be on Friday, because it will take days
              > for all the hierarchs to arrive from overseas.

              [ml] OH NO!!! I notice that no date was mentioned -- does anybody
              know the date of his death?

              In Christ,
              Meg Lark

              --