Moscow Patriarchate Choir

  • Carol Surgant
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 1, 2007
      I got to hear the Russian Patriarchate Choir in concert in Ann Arbor,
      Michigan this week. Their singing is fantastic! I was amazed by
      their breath control and the amount of sound (without artificial
      amplification) produced by 11 singers.

      The highlight was to hear them sing Divine Liturgy on Wed. Oct 31, at
      St. Vladimir, Ann Arbor (ROCOR). In the Church, their style was not
      at all bombastic, but reverent and carefully controlled. There was
      not one single moment when any individual voices could be
      distinguished, they sang as one person. The music which they sang
      for Liturgy, except for the Creed, was from the 16th and 17th
      centuries, with early polyphony and unison. Afterwards we got to
      hear a talk by Anatoly Gridenko, the conductor. He spoke of the
      necessity to have everything in symphony in the church, that is, the
      architecture, the iconography and the music must all relate to each
      other to contribute to prayer.

      He explained about his research into ancient music manuscripts and
      said that when he began to sing in church with his choir 30 years ago
      with a group of seminarians, some of the babas thought that they
      didn't know music, because the melodies and harmonizations (or lack
      thereof) were so different. He said that the original group of
      singers that he started with are now today bishops and abbots of
      monasteries, including St. Panteleimon's on Mt. Athos.

      Some of their remaining upcoming concerts on this tour...

      Nov 1, 2007 - University of Iowa (Iowa City)

      http://news-releases.uiowa.edu/2007/october/101207patriarchate-
      choir.html

      Nov 6 - University of Illinois (Urbana/Champaign) - Krannert Center

      Nov 9 - West Palm Beach, FL Kravis Center

      Nov 10 - Univ. Florida, Gainesville

      In Christ,
      Carol Surgant
    • Andrew Morbey
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 1, 2007
        And Saturday, November 3 at the Basilica in Minneapolis!

        AA in M