Re: President Bush Sr Going to Mt. Athos

  • Reader Timothy Tadros
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 5, 2007
      There are some hotels at Kareyes the Capitol and port of Mt Athos.
      Staying at a monastery usually requires a blessing from the abbott
      before hand. Programes non-orthodox? It's easier for the heterodox
      to stay on Mt Athos than it is for an Orthodox Christian to visit. On
      one part of Mt Athos they do have a road way but I doubt the ex-
      president will have to hoof it very far given the distance between
      monasteries.
      Rdr Timothy Tadros

      -- In orthodox-rocor@yahoogroups.com, morechoff@... wrote:

      > Where do people stay when they go to Mt. Athos? Is there a hostel or
      do the people stay in Monasteries?  Are there "programs" for non
      Orthodox?

      > President George Bush Senior is going to Mt. Athos this week.  I
      also wonder where Prince Charles stays when he goes there.

      _
      free from AOL at AOL.com.

    • Al Green
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 6, 2007
        ***Can someone point me to where information on the visit can be
        found? I've scoured the internet with several search engines and can
        find nothing newer than Bush Sr.'s 1995 trip to Mt. Athos. Thanks.

        Al

        --- In orthodox-rocor@yahoogroups.com, "Reader Timothy Tadros"

        _

      • morechoff@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 6, 2007
          Here is a brief note from AFP news wire.
          George Bush Snr holidays in Greece
          Jun 4 09:55 AM US/Eastern
          Former US president George HW Bush arrived in Greece on Monday for a week-long holiday to the Greek islands and the reclusive monastic community of Mount Athos, a police source said Monday.
          Accompanied by his son Jeb -- the former governor of Florida -- and a party of around 20 people, Bush flew into the northern city of Kavala on board a private plane, the source in the main outlying city of Salonika said.
          He will be vacationing on the northern Aegean islands of Thassos, Lemnos, Samos and the Sporades complex before travelling to the Mount Athos peninsula later in the week.
          A spiritual retreat that has seen its share of well-known visitors, including Britain's Prince Charles and Russian President Vladimir Putin, Mount Athos is considered one of Orthodox Christianity's holiest sites.
          The 41st president (1989-1993) and father of current US president George W Bush frequently visits Greece during the summer months.
          He will be a guest on the yacht of Spyros Latsis, one of Greece's most affluent businessmen and a past host of other prominent visitors.
          Current US president Bush also arrives in Europe on Monday for a meeting with key world leaders at the G8 summit in Germany, and planned stops in the Czech Republic, Poland, Bulgaria and Albania.

          _