Re: [orthodox-rocor] I need advice - Chrysostom on Virginity

  • philosoph
    Message 1 of 59 , Apr 1, 2007
      Dear Seraphim, one small question about that St. JOhn Chrysostom book
      did you really pay $100 for a 250 page book. It sounds like a very
      interesting work to read but that is a very high price. I did a quick
      web search and only found this link for buying it

      http://www.mellenpress.com/mellenpress.cfm?bookid=1839&pc=9

      seraphim wrote:

      > Here are some of my favorite books, in no particular order:
      >
      > * Chrysostom Press -
      > o Blessed Theophylact's commentaries of the Gospels (three
      > volumes)
      > o St Dmitri of Rostov's lives of the saints (several volumes)
      > * St Anthony's Monastery -
      > o Monastic Wisdom - letters of Elder Joseph the Hesychast
      > o Counsels from the Holy Mountain - letters of Elder Ephraim
      > * St Herman Press -
      > o Anything by Father Seraphim Rose - The Soul after Death;
      > Orthodoxy and the Religion of the Future ; Genesis,
      > Creation, and Early Man
      > o Lots of other good books!
      > * Anything by Elder Paisios of Mount Athos
      > o Saint Arsenios the Cappadocian
      > o Athonite Matters
      > * Anything published by Holy Trinity Monastery, Jordanville
      > o Father Michael Pomazansky - Selected Essays
      > * Anything by Constantine Cavarnos; for example:
      > o Anchored in God
      > o Modern Orthodox Saints (series)
      > * Anything by Fr John Romanides
      > o An Outline of Orthodox Patristic Dogmatics
      > * St Nikodemos, A Manual of Confession -- just getting into this one
      > * Anything by Hierotheos Vlachos
      > * St John of San Francisco
      > o history of the ROCOR
      > o The Orthodox Veneration of the Mother of God
      > * Father Arseny -- published by SVS press -- an excellent book
      > about a saintly priest who suffered in the gulag, from
      > remembrances of his spiritual children
      > * Journals/periodicals --
      > o Road to Emmaus
      > o The Orthodox Word
      > o Orthodox Life
      > * St John Chrysostom - On Virginity * Against Remarriage -- not
      > translated or published by Orthodox, but still a very important
      > book for our day, in my opinion. Edwin Mellon Press, Sally
      > Rieger Shore, translator.
      > * There are many good books in English coming out of Greece these
      > days -- lives of Athonite Elders such as Elder Joseph;
      > translations of St Nikodemos such as his Manual of Confession ;
      > and other items such as An Athonite Gerontikon -- stories from
      > the lives of Athonite elders.
      > * Also, there are many good collections of patristic translations
      > -- more and more is being done by Orthodox, such as many recent
      > translations of St Gregory Palamas -- but there are still some
      > large collections done by Catholics of St John Chrysostom, and
      > many other early fathers. E.g. the Eerdman's series (available
      > online and on CD-ROM), the "Fathers of the Church" series by
      > Catholic University, and the "Ancient Christian Writers" series
      > edited by Johannes Quasten. But I'd guess you might be able to
      > find such things in Serbian.
      >

      > If I spent some more time, I could come up with a lot more -- I've
      > probably inadvertently left out many excellent books. There really is
      > a lot available nowadays! Twenty years ago, we were always on the
      > lookout for new Orthodox books in English, we'd snatch them up as soon
> [...]
    • Fr. Anthony Nelson
      Message 59 of 59 , Apr 15, 2007
        Athanasios Jayne wrote:

        I would be interested to know your thoughts concerning
        the Cyprianite "Synod in Resistance,"

        snip

        Abp. Mark appears to regard them as being "outside the
        Church,"

        I believe that Abp. Mark's remarks were based on his premise that the Synod in Resistance had only us - ROCOR - as it's link to canonical Orthodoxy. Therefore, he reasoned, having severed that only link, they placed themselves "outside the Church." At least, that's how I heard it.

        I'm not in a position to make a judgement and, frankly, won't. I respect Abp. Mark and at the same time I count Archbishop Chrysostomos among my friends, and there are many who know that. I believe that any statement I make would be seen in that light and therefore I won't comment. Sorry, I know that's not helpful.

        Fr. Anthony

        Protopriest Anthony Nelson
        St. Benedict Russian Orthodox Church
        Oklahoma City, OK USA 405-672-1441