Re: English publications

  • mamabadger56
    Message 1 of 22 , Jan 1, 2007
      I hope I'm not stating the obvious by pointing out that much of
      ROCOR's English publishing didn't so much dry up as move to
      another jurisdiction. When my husband and I joined the ROCOR,
      we were amazed at the amount of English-language materials
      available. However, after the trouble with the "Boston group"
      resulted in monasteries and parishes leaving the Synod, it
      became apparent that the lion's share of ROCOR's English
      publishing was being done by non-Russians. They took their
      publishing with them.
      St. Herman's also published and continues to publish wonderful
      books in English, but they also left and are now under the
      Serbian Patriarchate.
      These books are all still available, of course, but as Fr. David
      says, they're not coming from ROCOR. In fact, I never got the
      impression that the Russian members of ROCOR were
      particularly interested in being missionaries for Orthodoxy, so
      the decline in English publications doesn't really surprise me.

      --- In orthodox-rocor@yahoogroups.com, "Archpriest David
      Moser" <moserd@...> wrote:

      > --- In orthodox-rocor@yahoogroups.com, frvictor@ wrote:
      > >
      > > There is no doubt a great wealth of Orthodox literature which
      has
      > been, and is being printed in English. That which has been
      noted, for
      > the most part, has been published outside of the Russian
      Church
      > Abroad.....that was my point....
      > >

      > This observation begs the question "why?" I can recall "back in
      the
      > day" when ROCOR had the premier position in publishing
      English
      > language Orthodox literature. Then the press at Jordanville
      began
      > concentrating on Russian language publications for
      distribution in
      > Russia (not a bad thing). Orthodox Life also began to suffer at
      that
      > point - and was began a notable slip in quality of articles as the
      > number of seminarians writing and translating declined. Two
      other
      > publications, Orthodox America (OA), always a bit sporadic
      became
      > increasingly rare and Living Orthodoxy (LO) often went begging
      for
      > contributers. Orthodox Word drifted off with the rest of Platina
      and
      > no longer is published by a ROCOR institution (I can't speak to
      the
      > quality because I haven't read it in quite a while, but judging by
      the
      > comments of others it is good). One of the reasons that OA
      and LO had
      > their difficulties is the lack of contributions. It seems no one
      > among the clergy or pious and educated laity are writing much
      anymore
      > (or if they are it is given over to be published by non-ROCOR
      > resources. How many ROCOR writers, for example, are
      published by
      > Regina press or Conciliar press?) If ROCOR has fallen from
      her
      > position of prominence in English language material, it is no
      one's
      > fault but our own. We had the publications and publishing
      houses and
      > we neglected them and starved them and took the things that
      would have
      > sustained them and gave them to others.
      >
      > I don't have a problem with using material from other Orthodox
      > sources, so don't get me wrong there, but we aren't publishing
      like we
      > used to because we have grown lazy and have neglected that
      which we
      > had (contrary to Metr. Philaret's wishes that we hold fast to that
      > which we have).
      >
      > One more reason why the quality of publications has declined
      in ROCOR
      > - the storm of controversy over the reconciliation with Moscow.
      How
      > many books could be compiled from the lines of useless
      hatred that
      > have filled this list and others over the past 5-10 years directed
      > towards nothing but politics. We have taken the energy, the
      > creativity, the time and effort that could have gone into
      wonderful
      > publications and tossed it away on the worthless dung heap of
      church
      > politics.
      >
      > So now we are at the bottom of the heap of English
      publications - but

      Message 2 of 22 , Jan 1, 2007
        To be fair, we have to acknowledge the English publications that come
        from Jordanville. Orthodox Life is, if I remember correctly, the
        oldest English language Orthodox periodical still in publication.
        Jordanville publishes a number of very useful service books in
        English, and also published some of the best titles available in
        English. Fr. Thomas Hopko says that there are three books that every
        Orthodox priest should read on a daily basis, The Bible, the Sayings
        of the Desert Fathers, and the Arena by St. Ignatii Brianchaninov...
        which is published by Jordanville.

        It is true that HTM published and still publishes some important
        texts. It is also true that St. Hermans publishes great English
        language material. When they were in ROCOR, both monasteries
        received a fair amount of money from Russian laity.

        I know a couple of American priests, serving English congregations
        who sent out fund raising letters in English and Russian to raise
        money for their buildings, and both were suprised at how many
        Russians responded with generous donations. So I don't think it is
        fair to say that Russians are not interested in English Language
        missions.

        The first donation my parish ever received was from Anastasia Titov,
        the recently reposed lady I have been posting about recently. At the
        time, my parish was mostly a twinkle in my eye. When she gave me the
        money, I told her I couldn't take it, because at the time I didn't
        yet have a blessing to start the mission. She told me "But you will,
        and when you do, then you can use it." Well, we did get the
        blessing, and we put it to very good use.

        As for the drying up of English printed publications, one big factor
        is simply the Internet. If you look at Orthodx America, it mostly
        consisted of current events, articles on personal piety, and lives of
        the saints. Today, the kinds of things that would have been printed
        in Orthodox America, are posted on web sites, such as
        Orthodoxinfo.com, or on jurisdictional web sites.

        Some people use to collect the lives of the saints from whatever
        source they could find it, and index them. Now, you have the
        Prologue in print and online, you have translations of the Synaxarion
        and the Great Collection of St. Dimitri of Rostov, and you have
        wonderful websites such as this:

        http://www.oca.org/FSlives.asp?SID=4

        So, I don't think we are more impoverished in terms of what is
        available in English, it's just that the Internet has changed the way
        we get it.

        Unfortunately, the internet also makes it easier for all sorts of
        garbage to be distributed too. However, we have the ability to seek
        out the good, and avoid the bad.

        -Fr. John Whiteford

        --- In orthodox-rocor@yahoogroups.com, "mamabadger56"
        <mamabadger56@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > > which we have).
        > >
        > > One more reason why the quality of publications has declined
        > in ROCOR
        > > - the storm of controversy over the reconciliation with Moscow.
        > How
        > > many books could be compiled from the lines of useless
        > hatred that
        > > have filled this list and others over the past 5-10 years directed
        > > towards nothing but politics. We have taken the energy, the
        > > creativity, the time and effort that could have gone into
        > wonderful
        > > publications and tossed it away on the worthless dung heap of
        > church
        > > politics.
        > >
        > > So now we are at the bottom of the heap of English
        > publications - but
        > > it is no one's fault but our own. Perhaps we ought to think

      • Anna Voellmecke
        Message 3 of 22 , Jan 2, 2007
          To mamabadger 56:

          All posts on this list are required to be signed with the poster's real name.

          Anna V.
        • ochichernie2
          Message 4 of 22 , Jan 2, 2007

            Does anyone know if "Îïûò Ïîñòðîåíèÿ Èñïîâåäè" based on Archimandrite Ioann Krestyankin's talks preparing people for confession has been or is going to be translated into English?  It looks like a wonderful book.  I think I read that St. John of Kronstadt held similar talks/services, where he would go through the sins and people (because of the large number) would shout "sinful" or something similar when they came to something that applied to them.

                 What is so good about Archimadrite Ioann's talks/book, is that he goes through the Ten Commandments and the Beatitudes in such a way as to mention things you might never have even thought about.  It looks like a good thing to read when we think we don't have much to confess...

            --Dimitra Dwelley

          • DDD
            Message 5 of 22 , Jan 2, 2007

              I see the Cyrillic did not come through in my Poco Mail.   Can anyone else see the Cyrillic words?  They are "Opyt Postroeniye Ispovedi" (transliterated)

              Does anyone know if "Îïûò Ïîñòðîåíèÿ Èñïîâåäè" based on Archimandrite Ioann Krestyankin's talks preparing people for confession has been or is going to be translated into English?  It looks like a wonderful book.  I think I read that St. John of Kronstadt held similar talks/services, where he would go through the sins and people (because of the large number) would shout "sinful" or something similar when they came to something that applied to them.

                   What is so good about Archimadrite Ioann's talks/book, is that he goes through the Ten Commandments and the Beatitudes in such a way as to mention things you might never have even thought about.  It looks like a good thing to read when we think we don't have much to confess...

              --Dimitra Dwelley

              http://groups.yahoo.com/group/orthodox-rocor/message/6293;_ylc=X3oDMTM0Y2tiYWhsBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzMwMDQ2NjAEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDc0NTk4BG1zZ0lkAzYzMDcEc2VjA2Z0cgRzbGsDdnRwYwRzdGltZQMxMTY3Nzk2MTMxBHRwY0lkAzYyOTM-"> Messages in this topic (9)http://groups.yahoo.com/group/orthodox-rocor/post;_ylc=X3oDMTJwNjRndGpmBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzMwMDQ2NjAEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDc0NTk4BG1zZ0lkAzYzMDcEc2VjA2Z0cgRzbGsDcnBseQRzdGltZQMxMTY3Nzk2MTMx?act=reply&messageNum=6307"> Reply (via web post) |http://groups.yahoo.com/group/orthodox-rocor/post;_ylc=X3oDMTJlYnA1cXNpBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzMwMDQ2NjAEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDc0NTk4BHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA250cGMEc3RpbWUDMTE2Nzc5NjEzMQ--"> Start a new topic

               Messages

               Posts to this list need to be signed with your full (and real) name.

              http://groups.yahoo.com/group/orthodox-rocor;_ylc=X3oDMTJkdmdobmc2BF9TAzk3NDc2NTkwBGdycElkAzMwMDQ2NjAEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDc0NTk4BHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA2hwZgRzdGltZQMxMTY3Nzk2MTMy"> Visit Your Group |http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/"> Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use |mailto:orthodox-rocor-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com?subject="> Unsubscribe

              Recent Activity

              Yahoo! News

              http://news.yahoo.com/i/762;_ylt=A9FJqarbuq5EzPEAcQSs0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTA2NWJlcmlsBHNlYwN0bg--">Entertainment News

              The latest on stars,

              movies, and more

            • Athanasios Jayne
              Message 6 of 22 , Jan 2, 2007
                As many of you doubtless already know, "Bishop
                Christodoulos" of the "Holy Metropolis of the
                Genuine Greek Orthodox Church of North and South
                America" (which is under the synod of Chrysostomos
                II of Athens) has publicly announced that Fr. Thomas
                Maretta, formerly of the St. Nicholas ROCOR parish
                in Endicott, NY, was just received by them "through
                canonical release from the omophorion of Metropolitan
                Laurus."

                My question is: Does such a "canonical release"
                mean that the party which the "released" person
                subsequently joins is recognized thereby? In other
                words, does a canonical release necessarily mean
                that Met. Laurus in this instance is recognizing
                the "Holy Metropolis" as a legitimate Orthodox
                body? I fear that some people will interpret it so,
                and that this is why "Bishop Christodoulos" was
                careful to include this info. in his announcement.

                Thank you for any information you can provide
                concerning the meaning of "canonical release."

                Athanasios.
              • emrys@globe.net.nz
                Message 7 of 22 , Jan 3, 2007
                  Except in rare cases, a Canonical Release specifies the name of the
                  receiving bishop and the diocese. I suspect that something is not being
                  revealed in the press release of Bp Christodoulos else they would have been
                  quick to offer a scan of this Canonical Release on their website.

                  Fr Ambrose

                  Message 8 of 22 , Jan 3, 2007
                    A practice which has happened in ROCOR has been to release clergy to
                    go, but not specifying where. This is not entirely canonical, but
                    has happened, and may be what happened here.

                    -Fr. John Whiteford

                    --- In orthodox-rocor@yahoogroups.com, "Athanasios Jayne"
                    <athanasiosj@...> wrote:

                    > As many of you doubtless already know, "Bishop
                    > Christodoulos" of the "Holy Metropolis of the
                    > Genuine Greek Orthodox Church of North and South
                    > America" (which is under the synod of Chrysostomos
                    > II of Athens) has publicly announced that Fr. Thomas
                    > Maretta, formerly of the St. Nicholas ROCOR parish
                    > in Endicott, NY, was just received by them "through
                    > canonical release from the omophorion of Metropolitan
                    > Laurus."
                    >
                    > My question is: Does such a "canonical release"
                    > mean that the party which the "released" person
                    > subsequently joins is recognized thereby? In other
                    > words, does a canonical release necessarily mean
                    > that Met. Laurus in this instance is recognizing
                    > the "Holy Metropolis" as a legitimate Orthodox
                    > body? I fear that some people will interpret it so,
                    > and that this is why "Bishop Christodoulos" was
                    > careful to include this info. in his announcement.
                    >
                    > Thank you for any information you can provide
                    > concerning the meaning of "canonical release."
                    >
                    > Athanasios.

                  • Fr. Anthony Nelson
                    Message 9 of 22 , Jan 3, 2007
                      At 06:02 AM 1/3/2007, you wrote:

                      A practice which has happened in ROCOR has been to release clergy to
                      go, but not specifying where. This is not entirely canonical, but
                      has happened, and may be what happened here.

                      One would hope that it happened that way...because otherwise I think that a mutual-recognition is assumed. After all, one cannot be canonically-released to an un-canonical "church" I would expect. And if there are such things as schismatics (and there are), I can't imagine a much better gauge than a groups own pronouncements that they are the only Orthodox left - which C2K has certainly made clear is his position.

                      Fr. Anthony

                      * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
                      Protopriest Anthony Nelson
                      St. Benedict Russian Orthodox Church
                      Oklahoma City, OK USA 405-672-1441
                      mailto:fr.anthony@...
                      http://www.russianorthodoxoklahoma.org

                    • Vassa Meister
                      Message 10 of 22 , Jan 3, 2007
                        I belong to the Church of the Nativity of Christ, Old Rite in Erie,
                        PA. We have published several books in English, among them a Prayer
                        Book, several months of a collection of The Lives of the Saints, The
                        Horologion-Book of Hours, and The Gospel Commentary which include
                        many of the Divine writings of St. John Chrysostom. These are
                        available through our bookstore and others. Our website is
                        www.churchofthenativity.net.
                        In Christ,
                        Vassa

                        --- In orthodox-rocor@yahoogroups.com, "Fr. John Whiteford"
                        <frjohnwhiteford@...> wrote:

> [...]
                        > > >
                        > > > One more reason why the quality of publications has declined
                        > > in ROCOR
                        > > > - the storm of controversy over the reconciliation with
                        Moscow.
                        > > How
                        > > > many books could be compiled from the lines of useless
                        > > hatred that
                        > > > have filled this list and others over the past 5-10 years
                        directed
                        > > > towards nothing but politics. We have taken the energy, the
                        > > > creativity, the time and effort that could have gone into
                        > > wonderful
                        > > > publications and tossed it away on the worthless dung heap of
                        > > church
                        > > > politics.
                        > > >
                        > > > So now we are at the bottom of the heap of English
                        > > publications - but
                        > > > it is no one's fault but our own. Perhaps we ought to think

                      • David Cassens
                        Message 11 of 22 , Jan 3, 2007
                          Another important contribution is the the work of Chrysostom Press, which is translatining and publishing in English The Explanation of the New Testament by Blessed Theophylact of Ochrid and Bulgaria and The Great Collection of the Lives of the Saints by St. Demetrius (Dimitry) of Rostov.

                          David E. Cassens, M.A, M.L.I.S.
                          Assistant University Librarian for Administration
                          Pius XII Memorial Library
                          Saint Louis University
                          3650 Lindell Blvd.
                          St. Louis, MO 63108
                          Email: dcassens@...
                          Phone: (314) 977-3095

                          <frjohnwhiteford@ ...> wrote:

> [...]
                          > blessing, and we put it to very good use.

                          As for the drying up of English printed publications, one big
                          factor
                          > is simply the Internet. If you look at Orthodx America, it mostly
                          > consisted of current events, articles on personal piety, and lives
                          of
                          > the saints. Today, the kinds of things that would have been
                          printed
                          > in Orthodox America, are posted on web sites, such as
                          > Orthodoxinfo. com, or on jurisdictional web sites.

                          Some people use to collect the lives of the saints from whatever
                          > source
                          they could find it, and index them. Now, you have the
                          > Prologue in print
                          and online, you have translations of the
                          Synaxarion
                          > and the Great
                          Collection of St. Dimitri of Rostov, and you have
                          such as this:

                          href="http://www.oca.org/FSlives.asp?SID=4">http://www.oca. org/FSlives. asp?SID=4

                          href="mailto:orthodox-rocor%40yahoogroups.com">orthodox-rocor@ yahoogroups. com, "mamabadger56"

                          href="mailto:orthodox-rocor%40yahoogroups.com">orthodox-rocor@ yahoogroups. com, "Archpriest David

                          href="mailto:orthodox-rocor%40yahoogroups.com">orthodox-rocor@ yahoogroups. com, frvictor@ wrote:

                          a great wealth of Orthodox literature
                          which
                          > > has
                          > > > been, and is being printed in English. That which has been

                          noted, for
                          > > > the most part, has been published outside of the
                          Russian
                          > > Church
                          > > > Abroad.....that was my
                          point....

                          > > > This observation begs the question "why?" I can recall "back
                          in
                          > > the
                          > > > day" when ROCOR had the premier
                          position in publishing
                          > > English
                          > > > language Orthodox
                          literature. Then the press at Jordanville
                          > > began

                          concentrating on Russian language publications for
                          > > distribution
                          in
                          > > > Russia (not a bad thing). Orthodox Life also began to
                          suffer
                          at
                          > > that
                          > > > point - and was began a
                          notable slip in quality of articles as
                          the
                          > > > number of
                          seminarians writing and translating declined. Two
                          > > other
                          > > > publications, Orthodox America (OA), always a bit sporadic
                          > > became
                          > > > increasingly rare and Living Orthodoxy (LO) often
                          went begging
                          > > for
                          > > > contributers. Orthodox Word
                          drifted off with the rest of
                          Platina
                          > > and
                          > > > no
                          longer is published by a ROCOR institution (I can't speak

                          the
                          > > > quality because I haven't read it in quite a while, but
                          judging
                          > by
                          > > the
                          > > > comments of others
                          it is good). One of the reasons that OA
                          > > and LO had
                          > > > their difficulties is the lack of contributions. It seems no
                          one
                          > > > among the clergy or pious and educated laity are
                          writing much
                          > > anymore
                          > > > (or if they are it is given
                          over to be published by non-ROCOR
                          > > > resources. How many ROCOR
                          writers, for example, are
                          > > published by
                          > > > Regina
                          press or Conciliar press?) If ROCOR has fallen from
                          > > her
                          > > > position of prominence in English language material, it is no
                          > > one's
                          > > > fault but our own. We had the publications and
                          publishing
                          > > houses and
                          > > > we neglected them and
                          starved them and took the things that
                          > > would have

                          sustained them and gave them to others.

                          don't have a problem with using material from other Orthodox

                          sources, so don't get me wrong there, but we aren't publishing

                          like we
                          > > > used to because we have grown lazy and have neglected
                          that
                          > > which we
                          > > > had (contrary to Metr. Philaret's
                          wishes that we hold fast to
                          that
                          > > > which we have).
                          > > >
                          > > > One more reason why the quality of publications has
                          declined
                          > > in ROCOR
                          > > > - the storm of controversy
                          over the reconciliation with
                          Moscow.
                          > > How

                          many books could be compiled from the lines of useless
                          > > hatred
                          that
                          > > > have filled this list and others over the past 5-10 years
                          directed
                          > > > towards nothing but politics. We have taken the
                          energy, the
                          > > > creativity, the time and effort that could have
                          gone into
                          > > wonderful
                          > > > publications and tossed it
                          away on the worthless dung heap of
                          > > church

                          politics.

                          > > > So now we are at the bottom of
                          the heap of English
                          > > publications - but
                          > > > it is no
                          one's fault but our own. Perhaps we ought to think
                          > > about
                          > > > turning that around.
                          > > >
                          > > > Archpr David
                          Moser

                        • mamabadger56
                          Message 12 of 22 , Jan 4, 2007
                            I must say I admire the publishing efforts of Holy Nativity church.
                            The 12-volume Saints' Lives series is quite an undertaking, and
                            wonderful to have available.

                            Greetings to you and your parish, Vassa! Our family were
                            present at your church's consecration in the early 80s, and one
                            of your deacons is our elder son's godfather, so we feel a certain
                            attachment.

                            Seraphima Reid

                            --- In orthodox-rocor@yahoogroups.com, "Vassa Meister"
                            <mountains_marmei@...> wrote:

> [...]
                            group"
                            > > > resulted in monasteries and parishes leaving the Synod, it
                            > > > became apparent that the lion's share of ROCOR's English
                            > > > publishing was being done by non-Russians. They took
                            their
                            > > > publishing with them.
                            > > > St. Herman's also published and continues to publish
                            wonderful
                            > > > books in English, but they also left and are now under the
                            > > > Serbian Patriarchate.
                            > > > These books are all still available, of course, but as Fr.
                            David
                            > > > says, they're not coming from ROCOR. In fact, I never got
                            the
                            > > > impression that the Russian members of ROCOR were
                            > > > particularly interested in being missionaries for Orthodoxy,
                            so
                            > > > the decline in English publications doesn't really surprise

                          • Athanasios Jayne
                            Message 13 of 22 , Jan 4, 2007
                              Dear Group members,

                              I have now written to Bishop Christodoulos
                              (at his own suggestion) twice, politely
                              requesting further information concerning
                              the details of the reported "canonical release"
                              of the Priest Thomas Maretta (formerly of the
                              St. Nicholas ROCOR parish in Endicott, NY).
                              He has now twice refused to provide this
                              information.

                              If Bishop Christodoulos believed this
                              information to be of a nature such that it
                              should not be made public, it seems somewhat
                              inconsistent for him to have volunteered any
                              information about the alleged "canonical release"
                              from Metropolitan Laurus in the first place.
                              He posted this information publicly, of his own
                              volition, but when further inquiry is made about
                              it, it is suddenly inappropriate to say anything
                              more! What was once trumpeted for all the world
                              to hear, must now be covered by a veil of
                              silence.

                              Needless to say, I find this "ex post facto"
                              excuse to likely be nothing but a disingenuous
                              evasion on his part, and it strongly suggests
                              that the truth of the matter is not to Bishop
                              Christodoulos' liking, and that the Priest
                              Thomas Maretta was indeed given a general,
                              "nameless release to nowhere," as has been done
                              at times in other, similar cases by ROCOR.

                              If so, then of course the much-heretofore-lauded
                              (but now hushed) "canonical release" in no way
                              implies any ecclesiastical recognition of his
                              jurisdiction by ROCOR, and I will assume (based
                              upon Bishop Christodoulos' new-found reticence)
                              that this is indeed the case, until he answers
                              this one simple and reasonable question that
                              his own actions have prompted--or until I find
                              out the truth from sources of greater candor
                              and credit.

                              Perhaps a ROCOR Priest from this group could
                              inquire of our Hierarchs?

                              May you have a Blesssed Nativity.

                              Athanasios.
                            • Vassa Meister
                              Message 14 of 22 , Jan 5, 2007
                                Thank you for your kind words. May you and everyone have a blessed
                                Christmas season. Christ is Born! Glorify Him!
                                In Christ,
                                Vassa

                                <mamabadger56@...> wrote:

> [...]
                                > > >
                                > > > Some people use to collect the lives of the saints from
                                > whatever
                                > > > source they could find it, and index them. Now, you have the
                                > > > Prologue in print and online, you have translations of the
                                > > Synaxarion
                                > > > and the Great Collection of St. Dimitri of Rostov, and you
                                have
                                > > > wonderful websites such as this:
                                > > >
                                > > > http://www.oca.org/FSlives.asp?SID=4
                                > > >
                                > > > So, I don't think we are more impoverished in terms of what
                                > is
                                > > > available in English, it's just that the Internet has changed
                                the
                                > > way
                                > > > we get it.
                                > > >
                                > > > Unfortunately, the internet also makes it easier for all sorts
                                of
                                > > > garbage to be distributed too. However, we have the ability

                              • (matushka) Ann Lardas
                                Message 15 of 22 , Jan 5, 2007
                                  --- In orthodox-rocor@yahoogroups.com, "Athanasios Jayne"
                                  <athanasiosj@...> wrote:
                                  [...]
                                  > My question is: Does such a "canonical release"
                                  > mean that the party which the "released" person
                                  > subsequently joins is recognized thereby?

                                  I don't know. But I know that it means this: he left with the blessing
                                  of the bishop to whom he had answered and with a blessing from the
                                  bishop who received him.

                                  That's a vast improvement over the way that many have left us.

                                  For me, that's enough to decide the matter and make it not something to
                                  worry about.

                                  In these waning days of the Nativity Fast, we should let the evil of
                                  the day suffice and thank God for what blessings there are, wherever we
                                  find them. It is enough that he is okay with both bishops. That is what
                                  a canonical release means -- his previous bishop says he may go.

                                  I am sorry for you and your fellow parishioners who have been left
                                  priestless and without your fellow parishioners, especially so close to
                                  the feast. There is nothing easy or pleasant about it.

                                  (You could come here for the feast! It's what, four hours? I have two
                                  turkeys cooked and ready to carve for Sunday and I even bought
                                  Emergency Fish in case monastics or vegetarians come. We're also making
                                  preparations for Saturday's "Holy Supper." The fattened walnuts are
                                  ready to be pounded for the kutia. I bought the fruit for the compote
                                  and also Clemantines and apples for both meals. "Mad busy cooking" is
                                  about to take place, as one of my children says.)

                                  About the release, it's not a bad question, but let not your heart be
                                  troubled about it too much. You're giving the situation more bandwidth
                                  than it merits.

                                  The Orthodox Church has always dealt with what is, rather than with
                                  what we wished were the case. It is that way with divorce, and it is
                                  that way with releases. Fr. Thomas, in seeking a blessing, and Vladyka
                                  Laurus, in granting one, made what could have been anasty situation a
                                  lot less unpleasant and a lot more regularized. That doesn't mean that
                                  the situation is pleasant or easy for those left behind, or even for
                                  those moving from one jurisdiction to another. But I don't know that
                                  any useful purpose will be served by demanding to see these documents,
                                  which are not like ukazes meant for public consumption, but are
                                  documents that affect and are the business mainly of just one priest
                                  and two bishops.

                                  I wish you a joyous upcoming feast, and better times ahead. You are
                                  missed up here.

                                  In Christ,
                                  Matushka Ann Lardas
                                • Athanasios Jayne
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Jan 5, 2007
                                    Dear Matushka,

                                    Thank you for your two pennies! Lord knows,
                                    I need all the help I can get. I miss you
                                    all too, but I don't think I'll be with you
                                    for the Feast, so no need to set aside any
                                    turkey for me (my loss, I am sure).

                                    As for the release, I have a somewhat
                                    different take on it than you do. I agree
                                    that it is better to leave with a blessing,
                                    but then again, what is this worth if a man
                                    has already made up his mind to go with or
                                    without a blessing? Construction of the new
                                    building for the new parish began long ago,
                                    and my impression is that it began long
                                    before the release.

                                    And, yes, if he goes from one Bishop to
                                    another Bishop, that is one thing. But if
                                    he goes from his Bishop with a general
                                    release, and then joins himself and his
                                    flock to a schismatic pseudo-Bishop,
                                    that's not a good thing at all, and that
                                    is what I believe has happened in this
                                    instance.

                                    A Blessed Nativity to you and to Fr. George
                                    and to all at the parish!

                                    Athanasios.
                                  • Fr. John R. Shaw
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Jan 6, 2007
                                      --- In orthodox-rocor@yahoogroups.com, "Athanasios Jayne" <athanasiosj@...> wrote:

                                      > Construction of the new
                                      > building for the new parish began long ago,
                                      > and my impression is that it began long
                                      > before the release.

                                      JRS: When I met him, over 3 years ago at the Nyack conference, Fr. Thomas seemed ready
                                      to leave ROCOR even then.

                                      If he had been removed from his parish then, and been replaced by someone more loyal
                                      (assuming there was a candidate), what would the outcome have been?

                                      Probably he would have been represented as a martyr, persecuted and repressed for his
                                      "Orthodox conscience".

                                      Would that have stopped him from building a separate church, and taking more than half
                                      the parish with him?

                                      Probably not, because the obvious financial support for this project shows that enough
                                      people must have been solidly behind him.

                                      If he had been denied a canonical release, would that have stopped him?

                                      Probably not.

                                      Will fuming and disputing about this now, change anything?

                                      No.

                                      Have a blessed Christmas.

                                      In Christ
                                      Fr. John R. Shaw