Bishop Varnava reinstated in ROCOR

  • Fr. John R. Shaw
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 3, 2006
      Today the ROCOR website (in the Russian section only) carried the announcement that
      Bishop Varnava, formerly of Cannes, has been reinstated in the Russian Orthodox Churcb
      Outside Russia.

      The Synod of Bishops accepted his profession of repentence for his uncanonical actions in
      the past, and reinstated him, but with the proviso that he may celebrate the Divine Liturgy
      only in his parish in Cannes, where he is the pastor, but is now a retired bishop.

      Bishop Varnava is not allowed to ordain clergy, to give awards, and he will not take part in
      the work of the Synod or the Sobor of Bishops.

      Yesterday, on July 2 2006, Bishop Gabriel of Manhattan concelebrated with Bishop
      Varnava.

      In Christ
      Fr. John R. Shaw
    • Olympiada
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 6, 2006
        I am sorry, I am coming to this late in the game. What were his
        uncanonical actions? Also does this mean a retired bishop can still
        pastor a flock?
        Thanks
        Olympiada Kane
        "It is in your love that your honor is found; to always love more than
        you are loved, to always be first in love."
        Nietzsche's words addressed to women