Re: [orthodox-rocor] Re: Not the End of ROCOR

  • Rev. John R. Shaw
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 19, 2001
      On Thu, 19 Jul 2001 thequeenofhunts@... wrote:

      > Father Bless,
      > Please forgive my ignorance....is the MP on the Church calendar?
      > kyrh,
      > Hannah

      The Moscow Patriarchate follows the Julian calendar, and always
      has, except for about 6 weeks during the Patriarchate of St. Tikhon in
      1923 when a half-hearted attempt was made to change to the new calendar,
      and failed.

      However, the Estonian Orthodox (as opposed to the Russians in
      Estonia) were allowed after W.W. II to use the Gregorian calendar in
      certain places, as a concession. In the United States, there was a
      directive issued in the late 1960's allowing parishes to vote on which
      calendar they wanted to follow, so in America there are still some MP
      parishes that use the new calendar.

      In Christ
      Fr. John R. Shaw
    • David Constantine Wright
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 21, 2001
        Glory to Jesus Christ! Glory Forever!

        > " World Orthodoxy" has done nothing the ROCOR demanded, they are not
        > moving in the right direction. There are some positive signs in some
        > of the Churches, but over all not much has happened.

        FYI for all, a good article to read which indeed shows the positive
        steps the world's Orthodox Churches have made is "Patience, Vigilence
        and Healing in the Orthodox Church" by Hieromonk Damascene. It's in
        the September-October 2000 issue of *Orthodox Word*.

        With Christ's love,
        Rd. Constantine

        | Reader Constantine Wright (OCA) | |
        | St. Philothea Greek Orthodox Church | IC|XC |
        | Athens, Georgia | ----- |
        | constantinew@... | NI|KA |
        | http://constans_wright.tripod.com | |