Windows PCs face "huge" virus threat

  • Fr. John McCuen
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 3, 2006
      This is being reported today at MSNBC:

      http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10684853/

      You should take these steps:

      Do not open emails from people you do not know if these contain image
      files (most email programs will tell you if there is an attached file
      by using a symbol such as a paper clip next to the subject line of the
      email). Make sure that you have turned "off" the "preview" feature of
      your email program; which automatically opens the email, and any
      images it may contain. (This is particularly important if you are
      using Outlook or Outlook Express.)

      Do not follow links to web pages if you do not know the sender.

      Set your "Windows update" feature to automatic; and be sure to
      download and install the latest security patches it reports to you.
      This will be particularly important when Microsoft releases the patch
      for this problem; which is reported to be issued on Jan. 10th.

      Updates will be sent as new information becomes available.

      Your unworthy servant in Christ,
      Priest John McCuen
    • Maureen Girard
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 3, 2006
        --- In orthodox-rocor@yahoogroups.com, "Fr. John McCuen"
        <fool4chr@y...> wrote:>>

        In addition, you can set your computer to receive automatic updates
        from Microsoft. When this is done, the update will attach to the off
        function and install if you let it. The update for this virus should
        be available very soon.
        Maureen

        > This is being reported today at MSNBC:
        >
        > http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10684853/
        >
        > You should take these steps:
        >
        > Do not open emails from people you do not know if these contain
        image
        > files (most email programs will tell you if there is an attached
        file
        > by using a symbol such as a paper clip next to the subject line of
        the
        > email). Make sure that you have turned "off" the "preview"
        feature of
        > your email program; which automatically opens the email, and any
        > images it may contain. (This is particularly important if you are
        > using Outlook or Outlook Express.)
        >
        > Do not follow links to web pages if you do not know the sender.
        >
        > Set your "Windows update" feature to automatic; and be sure to
        > download and install the latest security patches it reports to
        you.
        > This will be particularly important when Microsoft releases the
        patch
        > for this problem; which is reported to be issued on Jan. 10th.
        >
        > Updates will be sent as new information becomes available.
        >
        > Your unworthy servant in Christ,
        > Priest John McCuen

      • aggreen1
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 4, 2006
          ***I find that Norton Anti-Virus, which updates several times a week
          automatically, works very well for intercepting such virus attacks.

          Al

          --- In orthodox-rocor@yahoogroups.com, "Maureen Girard"
          <maureengirard@y...> wrote:

          > --- In orthodox-rocor@yahoogroups.com, "Fr. John McCuen"
          > <fool4chr@y...> wrote:>>
          >
          > In addition, you can set your computer to receive automatic
          updates
          > from Microsoft. When this is done, the update will attach to the
          off
          > function and install if you let it. The update for this virus
          should
          > be available very soon.
          > Maureen
          > >
          > > This is being reported today at MSNBC:
          > >
          > > http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10684853/
          > >
          > > You should take these steps:
          > >
          > > Do not open emails from people you do not know if these contain
          > image
          > > files (most email programs will tell you if there is an attached
          > file
          > > by using a symbol such as a paper clip next to the subject line
          of
          > the
          > > email). Make sure that you have turned "off" the "preview"
          > feature of
          > > your email program; which automatically opens the email, and any
          > > images it may contain. (This is particularly important if you
          are
          > > using Outlook or Outlook Express.)
          > >
          > > Do not follow links to web pages if you do not know the sender.
          > >
          > > Set your "Windows update" feature to automatic; and be sure to
          > > download and install the latest security patches it reports to
          > you.
          > > This will be particularly important when Microsoft releases the
          > patch
          > > for this problem; which is reported to be issued on Jan. 10th.
          > >
          > > Updates will be sent as new information becomes available.
          > >
          > > Your unworthy servant in Christ,
          > > Priest John McCuen

        • G3
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 4, 2006
            This is quite off topic, however I've found not having a system full of weaknesses and holes is the best prevention (see OS X, UNIX, or LINUX)

            I'm sure there's a Christian metaphor in there somewhere though.

            George

            <maureengirard@y...> wrote:

            > --- In orthodox-rocor@yahoogroups.com, "Fr. John McCuen"
            > <fool4chr@y...> wrote:>>
            >
            > In addition, you can set your computer to receive automatic
            updates
            > from Microsoft. When this is done, the update will attach to the
            off
            > function and install if you let it. The update for this virus
            should
            > be available very soon.
            > Maureen
            > >
            > > This is being reported today at MSNBC:
            > >
            > > http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10684853/
            > >
            > > You should take these steps:
            > >
            > > Do not open emails from people you do not know if these contain
            > image
            > > files (most email programs will tell you if there is an attached
            > file
            > > by using a symbol such as a paper clip next to the subject line
            of
            > the
            > > email).  Make sure that you have turned "off" the "preview"
            > feature of
            > > your email program; which automatically opens the email, and any
            > > images it may contain.  (This is particularly important if you
            are
            > > using Outlook or Outlook Express.)
            > >
            > > Do not follow links to web pages if you do not know the sender.
            > >
            > > Set your "Windows update" feature to automatic; and be sure to
            > > download and install the latest security patches it reports to
            > you.
            > > This will be particularly important when Microsoft releases the
            > patch
            > > for this problem; which is reported to be issued on Jan. 10th.
            > >
            > > Updates will be sent as new information becomes available.
            > >
            > > Your unworthy servant in Christ,
            > > Priest John McCuen

            Posts to this list need to be signed with your full (and real) name.

            YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

          • Bosko Jovanovic
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 4, 2006
              Dear in Christ

              Try AVG, it is free, and the best anti virus program.It resolve one my big problem.
              In Christ,
              Bosko Jovanovic

              <maureengirard@y...> wrote:

              > --- In orthodox-rocor@yahoogroups.com, "Fr. John McCuen"
              > <fool4chr@y...> wrote:>>
              >
              > In addition, you can set your computer to receive automatic
              updates
              > from Microsoft. When this is done, the update will attach to the
              off
              > function and install if you let it. The update for this virus
              should
              > be available very soon.
              > Maureen
              > >
              > > This is being reported today at MSNBC:
              > >
              > > http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10684853/
              > >
              > > You should take these steps:
              > >
              > > Do not open emails from people you do not know if these contain
              > image
              > > files (most email programs will tell you if there is an attached
              > file
              > > by using a symbol such as a paper clip next to the subject line
              of
              > the
              > > email).  Make sure that you have turned "off" the "preview"
              > feature of
              > > your email program; which automatically opens the email, and any
              > > images it may contain.  (This is particularly important if you
              are
              > > using Outlook or Outlook Express.)
              > >
              > > Do not follow links to web pages if you do not know the sender.
              > >
              > > Set your "Windows update" feature to automatic; and be sure to
              > > download and install the latest security patches it reports to
              > you.
              > > This will be particularly important when Microsoft releases the
              > patch
              > > for this problem; which is reported to be issued on Jan. 10th.
              > >
              > > Updates will be sent as new information becomes available.
              > >
              > > Your unworthy servant in Christ,
              > > Priest John McCuen

            • Jason Vaccaro
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 8, 2006
                Me too. I have a Mac running OS X and I also run Ubuntu Linux on my PC, and I never
                have a problem. The last version of windows I had was Win 98.

                Jason