Re: [orthodox-rocor] Re: Clergy serving in new and old calendar parishes

  • Gilbert Gamboa
    Message 1 of 70 , Oct 31, 2005
      You musnt fool yourselfor allow the evil one to fool you..our Holy Fathers of the church warn us of this, and we must fully give ourselves to the teaching`s of the the Church

      morechof <morechoff@...> wrote:
      If I am not wrong, the exact dates of Jesus' birth and death are
      unknown. Early Christians picked December/January to celebrate Jesus'
      birth because it was close to a pagan holiday and wanted to replace
      it.  Jesus's exact date of death is also unknown.

      --- In orthodox-rocor@yahoogroups.com, Adamiak Family
      <familyorthodox@y...> wrote:

      > aggreen1 <aggreen1@y...> wrote:
      > ***I'm of the opinion that the calendar issue, which is no issue to
      > me, is one of modern Orthodoxy's most divisive issues. I don't
      think
      > it matters one iota to God Almighty when we honor His birth, or
      > commemorate His resurrection,
      >

      > I don't mean to sound unkind but this sort of thing always bothers
      mean when we tend to speak for God Almighty on anything.  How can you
      say what matters to Him?  He was born on a certain calendar and He
      was resurrected on the same.

      > but it would be nice if the entire
      > church -- world Orthodox and traditionalist alike -- were on the
      > same page.
      >
      > Maybe it would be nice.  It would also be nice if their beliefs and
      viewpoints on important issues were on the same page.  How can
      Orthodox churches be the same when they teach completely different
      things and how can they be the same faith?

      >  Yahoo! FareChase - Search multiple travel sites in one click.

    • G3
      Message 70 of 70 , Nov 21, 2005
        I wasn't meaning anything like sola scriptura, only that there is one
        line in scripture often used to rule out eternal marriage, that I'd
        prefer to find either an alternative interpretation/translation of,
        and/or something strongly on way or the other among the Early Fathers.

        George (Edward Green III, Upstate NY)